Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Kitchen Talk for January 5th

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:37 AM
  • 17 Replies

It's Bean Day....

..The Musical Fruit!!

Do you like beans? What's your favorite kind and how do you make them?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Yep, we eat lots of beans. I love to make homemade baked beans and 15 bean soup. Thanks for the idea, I'm thinking bean soup for dinner might be a good plan

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:56 AM

No problem, happy to help!

Wanna share the 15 bean soup recipe?

Quoting darmomusaf:

Yep, we eat lots of beans. I love to make homemade baked beans and 15 bean soup. Thanks for the idea, I'm thinking bean soup for dinner might be a good plan

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I don't LOVE beans. I like them chilis of course. I do a pretty good semi-homemade baked beans in the summer.

nana9106
by Darlene on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Pintos are my favorite
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jules8289
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Love bean soup with ham, Pick-a-Pecka sauce, corn bread and a hunk of onion. I love to make baked beans, or ranch beans is always a huge hit.

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I usually use the dried beans and the recipe on the bag. I have some ham in the freezer from Christmas, so I'm thinking this is a good day to use it. You do have to soak and cook the beans, so I'm off to the grocery store to see if they have them. I do the same thing when I make homemade baked beans, use the dried beans I mean

Quoting Cindy18:

Quoting darmomusaf:

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:12 AM

You can skip the soaking process AND de-gas those beans ... my mom showed me how and I'll share it here ...

Place the beans in a large pot, fill with cold water and bring to a rolling boil.  Remove from heat (I put the pot in the sink at this point) toss in 2 to 3 Tablespoons of baking soda and stir.  It will foam up and turn green.  When the foaming stops, drain the water, rinse the beans and refill the pot with cold water.  Bring to boil again.  Remove from heat again.  Stir in 2-3 Tablespoons baking soda again.  Stir again.  Drain again.  I do this 4 times.   After the last draining and rinsing, I transfer the beans to my crockpot, add in the ham, some celery, salt and pepper and enough water to cover all and let it cook in the crockpot until it's done.   

When done this way, you don't have to soak those beans overnight and I swear, the baking soda gets rid of the gas.  My beans are NOT musical!!!!! 

Quoting darmomusaf:

I usually use the dried beans and the recipe on the bag. I have some ham in the freezer from Christmas, so I'm thinking this is a good day to use it. You do have to soak and cook the beans, so I'm off to the grocery store to see if they have them. I do the same thing when I make homemade baked beans, use the dried beans I mean

Quoting Cindy18:

Quoting darmomusaf:

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I eat a lot of beans. I have several different bean soups and chilis that we make fairly regularly. I like to eat beans and rice - just mix left over rice with beans of choice, add salsa, cheese, veggies like onions, cilantro, cumin, garlic sometimes I add bits of leftover meat - quick easy meal. I make bean salad, hummus, put them in Mexican dishes, toss in a tossed salad, minestrone. There is so much you can do with them!! 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I usually use them in soups :)

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Beans have never been at the top of my list of favorite things.  I will eat them if they are given to me but I don't really cook with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN