Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Even if they made Marijuana legal I couldn't smoke it

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 41 Replies

Most of us have tried it. Those who haven't my hats off to you :) 

Given a different environment growing up I might not have but my mother and sisters smoked it. Probably still do. 

It made me sick. Made my heart race. 

Also it is illegal here in Florida. I don't want my kids doing it, so I never did it as an adult. I didn't want them to say, well you do it Mom. 

Given the nausea with Crohns it can be tempting.

Any comments? What are your thoughts?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I think it should be legal and then they can tax the heck out of it.  I have never smoked it because I don't smoke anything but I have gotten a contact high because my kids smoked it.  That was one battle I chose not to engage in because I really didn't see any harm in it and they all outgrew it and don't do it any more.  They never drove while high but far too many people drive while drunk.  I think drinking is far more harmful to everyones health than pot is.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:38 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Probably not a great idea to make it legal,
I bet too many *people* would drive high :(

jlsjjsmom
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Personally I don't think pot is any worse than alcohol and I think they should make it legal and tax it. This whole war on drugs hasn't worked well at all - if anything drugs are stronger and more prevalent than they were when it first started. The sign of stupidity is continuing to do the same thing but expect different results. I like to have a few beers or a glass of wine several evenings a week; I imagine if pot were legal I'd indulge occasionally. Although I'd probably have to try it in some type of non-smoking form as I'm not a smoker and the few times I tried it 'back in the day' I just ended up coughing and sputtering!

EireLass
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I think alcohol is worse than marijuana. I think it should be a legal recreational drug (as is alcohol) with all the same rules/regulations as alcohol.....age, etc.

I smoked as a teen. I quit when I decided to have children. I never smoked or drank for 21 years of being responsible for my kids. I assumed my kids did as teens...and now as adults I know they did, as we've talked about it.

I started smoking again a few years ago. It has helped me tremendously with pain. I'm a "pot snob"...meaning, I don't just smoke anything. I'm particular on the strain. When I go to the doctor for my routine visit next week, I will talk to her about getting a medical card, as that is legal here. If she is not interested, I do know of a doctor who does this. Either way, I will continue to get it from my current source. It's a 70 year old man with a 28 year old plant. The strain is called Afghan Goo. I have horrible nerve pain. I have Gabapentin for it, which takes the edge off...the MJ finishes what the Gabapentin doesn't. I only use it in the evenings when I know I don't have to go out and drive. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer 2 years ago. After studying various ways to deal with it - without surgery or harsh chemicals - I finally got a clear biopsy in December. This particular strain kills cancer cells, as does low dose vitamin D...and alot of other things I do.

My kids know I smoke, 2 of them have smoked with me, no big deal....they'd be able to drink with me, and I don't think it's any worse. I've never gotten "high" as people think about it. 1-2 puffs 4-5 times a week...that's it. I don't enjoy mind altering feelings.

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I smoked pot years ago, growing up. It also made me have terrible seizures, as I have epilepsy. My seizures are dormant now, but the last seizure I had, was brought on by bad dose of pot, I think. Never again!

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Actually: If you have that much pain, maybe a person should give it a try. It just isn't good for me. Someone else might benefit from it!

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I tried it when I was in my teens and 20's but it never did anything for me except maybe give me a headache.lol And I do not like to smoke anything.  All my siblings did and lotsa of my friends. And my husband and his friends still do as well as my daughter.

Honestly I do not like how it makes some people act but its no worse then being around a drunk. Well,in fact I would rather be around someone who is high then a drunk.They're usually easier to deal with.

Ithink it should be legalized country wide.There are so many medical benefits why should someone be penalized if they live in a state where they can not get medicinal marijuana. And like another poster said,its been around for ages and the goverment hasn't been able to stop the use and sale of it. So why not benefit from its productivity and usage.

They should use all their money and tactics to outlaw alchohol. Well they tried that already and it didn't wotk.lol And there is deffinitly no medicinal usages of alchohol. Except maybe to get so damn drunk you can't feel the pain and to sterilize a wound!

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I think the smoke smells horrible but in baked goods it can be okay.

I think if it helps someone get by and doesn't take all motivation to actually do things in life it's fine.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I cannot tolerate the smell of pot.  Immediate nausea.  I do not want my children or family smoking it or taking anything that puts then in a drug induced state.  I am not a fan of drinking alcohol to impairment.  I am also not a fan of prescription narcotics either.  I guess I am a party pooper all the way around.  I believe this goes back to being a child... my mother was  an invalid and suffered chronic pain from 1969 to 1987.  She took prescription narcotics and actually lived her life in bed.  As a child there were times she did not know who I was.  She also tried to commit suicide a few times.  I was also subjected to riding in the car with a parent on narcotics - ran off the road a couple of times -scared me to death.  Truly as a child and young adult I was traumatized by the fear of what would happen.  Thankfully my mother received proper pain treatment after I married and with her determination for a better life - she learned to handle her pain a better way.  She was actually able to get out of bed for 5 or 6 years until she became totally wheelchair bound.  I am so happy she got to do many things during that small time frame.  Anyway - I do not believe an altered state is an optimal course of treatment unless a diagnosis is terminal.  It was just such a sad way for her to live the prime years of her life.  If they legalize pot, I would prefer it to be a controlled substance.  After all these years I realize there are no perfect solutions to controlling pot, other drugs, or alcohol for that matter.  But we still need to make a best effort.

homeskoolmama
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I understand it is wonderful for those with fibro , which is me. I have a friend that uses it.

EVEN if it was legal in NC it is illegal in the US so either way you could go to jail.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)