Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

I need advice on spinal pain please friends :)

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 28 Replies

I have inherited my mothers spine. I have issues with my disks and also bone spurs in the neck area. 

I can go weeks sometimes without much pain. Then all of the sudden for reasons I cannot explain (maybe picked up something too heavy?) I will be in serious pain. 

I had to take a pain pill this morning. It did nothing. 

Do you have any techniques that help you with this problem? I can hardly walk today.

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I have a disk that likes to slip out of alignment.  That can be very painful.  I do live on pain pills but all they do is take the edge off, not get rid of the pain.  I did physical therapy and know what exercises to do that will help push the disk back where it belongs and get rid of the pain.  I also sit on a balance ball at work.  I asked the physical therapy people here what I could do for the pain and they told me to sit on a balance ball.  It helps to increase upper body stability and strength which also helps with the pain.  You can't slouch on a ball.

Shellness
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

That is a wonderful idea. I'm going to see how much they are and try it.

Quoting Why123:

I have a disk that likes to slip out of alignment.  That can be very painful.  I do live on pain pills but all they do is take the edge off, not get rid of the pain.  I did physical therapy and know what exercises to do that will help push the disk back where it belongs and get rid of the pain.  I also sit on a balance ball at work.  I asked the physical therapy people here what I could do for the pain and they told me to sit on a balance ball.  It helps to increase upper body stability and strength which also helps with the pain.  You can't slouch on a ball.

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I got mine second hand but you can get one at Amazon.com for about $75.  I love it.  It even provides exercise because I like to bounce on it.

Quoting Shellness:

That is a wonderful idea. I'm going to see how much they are and try it.

Quoting Why123:

EireLass
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I am disabled due to my spine. I also live on a multitude of pills, they take the edge off. When my neck is really bothersome, I roll a towel real tight, and put that under the curve in my neck....no pillow, and lay there. Let my whole body relax, so the weight of my body/neck/head is actually massaging the neck back to the way it should be. Works every time. You could heat the towel in the microwave if you want a warm one, or stick it in the freezer if you want a cold one.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I get PT when it gets this bad.  For my neck,  they told me to stand in a warm shower with the spray on my neck and to tilt my head toward my ear 5 times and look over my shoulder (keeping the shoulders level) 5 times. I don't recommend these though with your problem since you don't want to take a chance on getting hurt more. 

In general I use a heating pad. and stretches.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:50 AM

My issue is degenerated disk disease primarily in my lower back.  The pain absolutely sends me to the floor sometimes.  Physical Therapy was the answer for me.  I now know what to do and what not to do.  Made a huge difference.  I hope you find what makes it manageable for you!!! 

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Get a good chiro to work on you.

Also only pick up and hold things in the middle of your body.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes going to a pain clinic and having  cortisone injections in the back helps - usually given in a series of three and often leaving you pain free for years.  The downside is they do not always help everyone.  My husband underwent a double laminectomy in 2011 for severe lower back pain and has been like a new man ever since with no more back pain at all.

homeskoolmama
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM

oh gosh, no idea but to talk to your doctor. There are some low impact back exercises online you might try.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM

So sorry your not feeling good. ((hugs))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN