Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Ear ache....what's good for it????

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM
  • 29 Replies

I have had an ear ache most of the day.  It even hurts my face a little bit.  Ugh...I put some peroxide in it and let it bubble around for a few minutes then turned my head over and let it run out and then took the hair dryer to it to finish drying it.  It still doesn't feel good and I really don't want to go to the dr because I have no insurance it will cost a fortune.  :(

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jules8289
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Take any antibiotics if you have them. Something warm against your ear? It must drain the stuff out of it. I really don't know!  It may not cost the fortune your thinking of. The office visit. Maybe they'll have a sample antibiotic or drops you can have. Don't some pharmacies offer free ones? I had an ear ache for a month once. All it did was bleed and have green gunk come out. So painful too! I nearly lost my mind. Go to the Dr. before it gets bad and costs you some serious money!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I don't have any antibiotics to take.  I also don't think I have anything draining out of it.  I haven't seen or felt anything anyway.  Ugh...We'll see what tomorrow brings.  I don't like having an earache.  Thanks for answering though.  I appreciate it.   :)

Quoting jules8289:

Take any antibiotics if you have them. Something warm against your ear? It must drain the stuff out of it. I really don't know!  It may not cost the fortune your thinking of. The office visit. Maybe they'll have a sample antibiotic or drops you can have. Don't some pharmacies offer free ones? I had an ear ache for a month once. All it did was bleed and have green gunk come out. So painful too! I nearly lost my mind. Go to the Dr. before it gets bad and costs you some serious money!

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Don't put anything in your ear unless a Dr says to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM
You need to go to the dr and never again put anything into your ear. EVER. Do you have an MD360 or a drs care? They usually are about 75$ or a CVS minute clinic is around 60$.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I've done the peroxide before and then make sure it's all out.  Hopefully it will help.  We'll see  

Quoting atlmom2:

Don't put anything in your ear unless a Dr says to.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM

The last time I went to the minute clinic was for a sinus infection and ear infection and it cost me about 125.00 and that wasn't counting the prescriptions.  I may have to do it either way but I'm hoping it will be better tomorrow. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

You need to go to the dr and never again put anything into your ear. EVER. Do you have an MD360 or a drs care? They usually are about 75$ or a CVS minute clinic is around 60$.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

fill a tube sock with dried beans or rice and tie off the end, then zap in microwave for a couple of minutes to warm it up.  also take ibuprofen or tylenol if you have it.  Hope it clears up for you and soon. 

just on an aside, when I first read the title of this post, I initially saw it as "Ear ache - what's it good for?"   lol. 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Thanks Ronna!  That's a good idea.  I will go do that.  I hadn't thought of taking tylenol or ibuprofen.  I think I'll do that too.  lol

Glad you read the title right because you've given me some good tips.  lol  Thanks   :)

Quoting suzeebloch:

fill a tube sock with dried beans or rice and tie off the end, then zap in microwave for a couple of minutes to warm it up.  also take ibuprofen or tylenol if you have it.  Hope it clears up for you and soon. 

just on an aside, when I first read the title of this post, I initially saw it as "Ear ache - what's it good for?"   lol. 

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:32 PM
3 moms liked this

You can go to a drug store or if you have it on hand,take a few drops of olive oil and warm it up. Put a few drops in your ear and put a little bit of cotton ball in your ear. This help dissolve built up wax or remove anything thats in your ear. Then lie down on the opposite side,with maybe a warm compress on your ear also.

I used to have earaches all the time as a child and even as I've gotten older I had them. This what  has helped me 99 percent of the time.  And  my doctor now and a my childs pediatrician when she was small said this was perfectly safe.

But as with anything if it persists or you have any kind of drainage from your ear you need to see a doctor.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I remember having warm eardrops placed in my ears as a small child.  I remember how it tickled going down inside my ear like that.  I guess I must have had earaches?  I don't remember the earaches but do remember the tickly feeling of the warm oil.  I haven't had an ear ache since I was 18 years old though.

Quoting kuntrylady56:

You can go to a drug store or if you have it on hand,take a few drops of olive oil and warm it up. Put a few drops in your ear and put a little bit of cotton ball in your ear. This help dissolve built up wax or remove anything thats in your ear. Then lie down on the opposite side,with maybe a warm compress on your ear also.

I used to have earaches all the time as a child and even as I've gotten older I had them. This what  has helped me 99 percent of the time.  And  my doctor now and a my childs pediatrician when she was small said this was perfectly safe.

But as with anything if it persists or you have any kind of drainage from your ear you need to see a doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)