Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

When was the last time you went to the zoo?

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM
  • 39 Replies

Was it when your kids were little?  Do you go with your Grandchildren? 

How often do you go if you do take your grandchildren?

Do you have one in the town you live in? 

Whats the best zoo in your opinion that you have been too. 

What animal do you always have to go see?

I have just found out that there is a Wild Things Ranch in the next town over. It is a sort of refuge and sanctuary for all wild animals, elephants, Lions, tigers, Bears etc.  I am going to go on the 26th with a few friends because they give tours. You cannot just roam about the place all day. The owners goal is for it to become a zoo in a few years after fundraising and making enough money to do so.  My ulterior motive is to volunteer there and help with the elephants. They have a big elephant fundraiser every year in May so I would like to become part of that.

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Jeanine on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM

We have a wonderful little FREE zoo in Madison.  The elephant that we had for years was kept in a little enclosure and they finally figured it was inhuman so Winky went to the Elephant Sanctuary in TN.  About a year ago Winky killed a young female volunteer :(  I guess elephants who have been kept in a zoo or circus have PTSD and can go "crazy" for no reason.  Anyway, that's wonderful you want to volunteer but just don't go near the elephants.

nana9106
by Darlene on Jan. 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM

The last time I went was about a year or so ago, my Dd and I took my GS. The town we live in is very small, the closest one is in Houston. Houston has a really nice zoo, my GS loves the reptile house, which I do NOT go into because I am terrified of snakes. So I spent a lot of time on the bench out side of the reptile house..LOL but we all had fun.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Yes, if they have been abused in their lives which most of them have sadly enough, they can be unstable. One way to tell if an elephant is unstable is if it sways back and forth. Dh had the same response when I told him last night, "so that means they have been abused right?"  I will be careful. This is why I am going to go check it out first.

A FREE zoo, how wonderful!  They must depend alot on donations.

Quoting jabs54:

We have a wonderful little FREE zoo in Madison.  The elephant that we had for years was kept in a little enclosure and they finally figured it was inhuman so Winky went to the Elephant Sanctuary in TN.  About a year ago Winky killed a young female volunteer :(  I guess elephants who have been kept in a zoo or circus have PTSD and can go "crazy" for no reason.  Anyway, that's wonderful you want to volunteer but just don't go near the elephants.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Haha I always see people sitting outside the reptile house.

Quoting nana9106:

The last time I went was about a year or so ago, my Dd and I took my GS. The town we live in is very small, the closest one is in Houston. Houston has a really nice zoo, my GS loves the reptile house, which I do NOT go into because I am terrified of snakes. So I spent a lot of time on the bench out side of the reptile house..LOL but we all had fun.

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM

It's been a while since I have been to the zoo.  I think the last time I went was with my granddaughter when she was in her early teens and she is 21 now.  We were going to take my granddaughters last summer but it was way too hot.  The closest zoo would be in Columbus, over an hour away.  We took my daughters to the zoo in Korea and had to get our own security guard because we were drawing bigger crowds than the animals.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:06 PM

We went last year and took Breana and it rained and rained and rained.  lol  So...we only saw a little of it.  I think we'll probably go back some time this year though. 

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

We have a 'Drive Through" zoo nearby.  LOVE IT.  Buffalo, zebra, giraffes. goats, sheep, pigs, horses and the ever curious emus.  You take a chance with your car - but oh my gosh it is fun.  The last time we went in 2010, my car was slimmed inside and out by the buffalo!  

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Funny you should post this today. My hubby is working in Seattle right now and I'm traveling with him. I just looked online for their zoo info. We haven't been in years and it sounds like a great way to spend the day. BTW, the Seattle zoo look pretty good!

I've only been to the San Diego zoo when I was a teenager.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Here are  some pictures!!

Quoting Maddie24:

We have a 'Drive Through" zoo nearby.  LOVE IT.  Buffalo, zebra, giraffes. goats, sheep, pigs, horses and the ever curious emus.  You take a chance with your car - but oh my gosh it is fun.  The last time we went in 2010, my car was slimmed inside and out by the buffalo!  

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Last summer we went to a free one near Minneapolis/St. Paul. It was pretty decent for a free one although it could have used some maintenance. We like the reptile house (except for the humidity) and watching the primates when they are active. Nearly every year we go to a zoo or animal park of some sort.

I have not been to enough different zoos to judge which are best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN