Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Son moved in with his dad yesterday

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • 12 Replies
Ive been raising 2 kids alone since my divorce in 03. My son, who is a senior in high school decided he needed a change and wanted to move in with dad. I actually drove him over to dads on Monday nite. Gawd that was tough! Any words of encouragment would be really appreciated, i miss him already!! Lol Thank you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I have no words right now. Maybe he'll see that the grass is NOT always greener on the other side! HUGS!

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

It is all too true that the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, but does not always turn out to be the case.  He is at an age that is sometimes often difficult to understand as he is searching for something even he may not understand.  You didn't mention whether he has had frequent visitations with his dad, or if his dad lives in the same town as you.  Maybe he thinks things are going to be easier at his dads and thus he will be able to get away with more.  Maybe he just feels the need for some male interaction.  And I bet he is missing you as well.  Just remember that this move is not an indication that he loves you any less because that for sure is not the case.  Give him awhile and he will probably be asking to move back with you.

CREATIONS2013
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Maybe you can look at it like, it may be the step B-4 moving out on his own because thats probley be even scarier for you . Hang in mom he'll be ok :)good

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I'm so sorry. *HUGS* I think this happens at least once in every divorce with kids situation. Hopefully he will wake up soon and realise he is better off with you.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM

How often are you going to see him?

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I am so sorry and know how badly that hurts.  I went through that with my youngest daughter.  You are fortunate this did not happen until ,mid-way through his senior year in highschool - in May he will be ready for work or college!  Mom's work is really done.  I am sure he will miss you and they always know where home really is!  Hang in there! 

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I'm sorry :(   Been there, done that.  My oldest dd did a 180 when she got to high school.  Decided she didn't like it here and moved in with her dad.  I refused to give her permission as he is abusive and I knew it would go horribly wrong.  I took her to a councelor thinking they would talk her out of it.  Instead they encouraged her.  Needless to say she doesn't have ANY relationship with her father AT ALL now.  That is one of the things about divorce I hate...the fact that kids can bounce from home to home if they don't like what their parent says.  I hope it turns out working out well for you and your son.  (((hugs)))

Shellness
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Im sorry you are missing him! I hope its all for the best in the end!

caro100
by Carol on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Do't take it personally, your son is becoming a man and he needs his Dad at this time in his life. Chances are, he'll wake up and want to come back, dad's aren't noted for dropping their wants and likes for their kids. Some are, but just as many aren't.  My nephew wanted to go live with his Dad, he did so for almost a year, but Dad didn't spends any time with him, the Dad was in it for the no child support payment. Anyway nephew came back and that was the end of that.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

So sorry, this must be tough.  I have heard of this happening many times when teens have two choices of where to live when the parents aren't together.  I guess they think things might be better if they try it out with the other parent.  hugs. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN