Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Ever have a remodel or addition to your house? February PORCH Update

Posted by   + Show Post

I found a contractor and will embark on adding a screen porch to my house.  I have searched the Internet for ideas to come up with the specs.  They will have to tie into my roof and house foundation.  I am a bit anxious because I know it will probably take a couple of months and it will be a mess in the back yard.  I will have to handle my dogs on a leash and keep up with loose nails.  It will be worth it, but I am afraid this will be an unpleasant process. 

Has anyone else gone through a renovation?  What did you have done and were you glad you did it? 

February 24 - Well it has been several weeks and this is the progress thus far.  I will enjoy it when it is done, but I have to admit this kind of chaos is very very hard for me to cope with - I just keep telling myself this is temporary.  In the mean time my dog just barks at the porch.  I have items stuffed in the garage and all over the house with the final destination as the porch.  The contractor says he can finish by the end of March.  I sure hope so.   I really hope I can get the yard repaired when they are done.  

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Replies (61-69):
Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM

That is awesome - a house over 100 years old.  That is like most of my furniture and dishes!!!  What a family heritage.   That is great that he can do all that himself.  It takes a craftsman to renovate.  I love old houses.  That is a big big job to handle all the wiring and plumbing.  I would love to see pictures!!! 

Quoting starfire59:

My husband has been doing the remodel on our house and we're into the 2nd year. He's done 1 room at a time everything from rewiring to laying new floors. We have an extra room in the house that no one ever knew what to do with. So he built me a small kitchen that I can use while he's doing the kitchen (last room) so I still have a place to cook. Thankfully it's just he and I living there, no kids or I wouldn't have made it this far without crazy!lol!

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Thanks - I know we will enjoy the porch when it is finished - it is just manuevering through the mess.  When they get to the floor - they will install hardwood in my den and refinish in place.  I need to go to the liquor store - I am going to need it.  I can not imagine a 100 year old house - I bet it is fabulous!  I remember one kitchen remodel years ago - I shut down a bathroom so it would work as a kitchen.  We ended up eating out that week!   

Quoting Bmat:

It sounds wonderful. And I always like back up systems- a back up refrigerator, stove, etc, so that when something goes bad, I can still feel comfortable.  I don't have much back up in the kitchen, though. Your small kitchen is only a little smaller than my big one. LOL!  $35! How about that! and in his family for so long. Think of the memories in this house. How precious. :)

Quoting starfire59:

I refused to let him tear out the kitchen without a place to work so my small kitchen is about a 12x12 room. It looks great and it's at the back staircase so when the Big kitchen gets done I'm going to keep the small in use. It's easier to get to from upstairs if you go down the back stairs. The other staircase goes down into the front room and you have to go through the house to get to the big one. This is my hubby's line of work so thankfully I never have to call a repairman but sometimes when he;s taking too long I threaten too and he gets back to it. lol! I've had to do the dishes in the bathroom too! Before he got the pipes right for about 4 days. NEVER again. I love my house though it's been in his family for over 120 years. His family paid 35 dollars in cash for it 100 years ago. It's a 6 bed 3 bath it's huge and I love it.

Quoting Bmat:

You are lucky that he is so creative and skilled! I love the idea of the small kitchen! When we remodeled our kitchen I had the refrigerator in the dining room and the microwave in the living room and had to wash dishes in the bathrooom sink. :(

Quoting starfire59:

My husband has been doing the remodel on our house and we're into the 2nd year. He's done 1 room at a time everything from rewiring to laying new floors. We have an extra room in the house that no one ever knew what to do with. So he built me a small kitchen that I can use while he's doing the kitchen (last room) so I still have a place to cook. Thankfully it's just he and I living there, no kids or I wouldn't have made it this far without crazy!lol!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:31 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Aww hang in there,
with luck it will be finished sooner than later.
But well worth it :)

starfire59
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM

When I get back home I'll take plenty and poost. At themoment I'm at my moms taking care of her. She fell on Jan 14 aqnd broke her tail bone. Then on Feb 14 fell agin and tore her hand open and needed stitches. Hope I'll be home in the next 2 weeks. At least hubby can work while I'm not there.

Quoting Maddie24:

That is awesome - a house over 100 years old.  That is like most of my furniture and dishes!!!  What a family heritage.   That is great that he can do all that himself.  It takes a craftsman to renovate.  I love old houses.  That is a big big job to handle all the wiring and plumbing.  I would love to see pictures!!! 

Quoting starfire59:

Shellness
by Michell on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

How exciting! Tell him to hurry up, spring is on its way!

bakermom5944
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM

It was quite hard!!  The mud, sharing the bathroom with all the workers, being in the basement all the time.  They did clean up everyday which helped, but I cleaned the bathroom everyday, myself, just cause!  They were all great guys, very considerate.  What was the big problem was cooking!  My kids at the time were 13, 13, and 10.  Very picky eaters.  I tried to boil water on a hotplate for spaghetti and in the middle of cooking the thing would turn off!!  Once I tried to make it in an electric skillet!!  NOT!!  LOL.  It was ten years ago, I don't remember all of it.  Probably blocked it out!! lol  Your porch looks very nice.  Doesn't look like it will be too much longer, I hope!!   It really is a challene with dogs.  Don't know if you have kids at home, but it's a challenge with them too!!!  Hope all goes well.  Keep us posted!!

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I will look forward to pictures...in the mean time you are a wonderful daughter and I hope your mom is feeling better soon!!! 

Quoting starfire59:

When I get back home I'll take plenty and poost. At themoment I'm at my moms taking care of her. She fell on Jan 14 aqnd broke her tail bone. Then on Feb 14 fell agin and tore her hand open and needed stitches. Hope I'll be home in the next 2 weeks. At least hubby can work while I'm not there.

Quoting Maddie24:

Quoting starfire59:

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Oh my gosh - I bet you have blocked out a good deal of that.  Cracks me up - spaghetti in a electric skillet!  I guess we all have to look back on life events we have endured and see some humor in it.  I try anyway!  I do not have children at home anymore - it is just my 2 akitas and I.  The puppy keeps barking at the porch.  I keep pulling the curtains closed and she keeps getting behind them.  And yes - the mud tracked in the house is awful.  We have had so much rain here I am surprised they have worked some days.  Well, sharing a bathroom is a bit more than I am willing to do!!! 

Quoting bakermom594

It was quite hard!!  The mud, sharing the bathroom with all the workers, being in the basement all the time.  They did clean up everyday which helped, but I cleaned the bathroom everyday, myself, just cause!  They were all great guys, very considerate.  What was the big problem was cooking!  My kids at the time were 13, 13, and 10.  Very picky eaters.  I tried to boil water on a hotplate for spaghetti and in the middle of cooking the thing would turn off!!  Once I tried to make it in an electric skillet!!  NOT!!  LOL.  It was ten years ago, I don't remember all of it.  Probably blocked it out!! lol  Your porch looks very nice.  Doesn't look like it will be too much longer, I hope!!   It really is a challene with dogs.  Don't know if you have kids at home, but it's a challenge with them too!!!  Hope all goes well.  Keep us posted!!

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Quoting Shellness:

How exciting! Tell him to hurry up, spring is on its way!

Thanks!  I sure hope they keep on schedule!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)