Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Any suggestions on what to ask the Dr.?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM
  • 16 Replies

Tomorrow is my mom's first appointment with the oncologist.  I have prepared a list of questions to ask while we are there:

What exact type of cancer does she have?

What stage is it at?

What is the prognosses?

What treatment do you recomend?

What types of drugs will she recieve and what are the dosages?

How long will she need to be in treatment?

Can any of you suggest any other questions to ask?

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Esmrlda
by Esme on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:14 PM

No but good luck at the Dr.'s

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM

TY!

Quoting Esmrlda:

No but good luck at the Dr.'s

nana9106
by Darlene on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Prayers for your mom and you. My only advice is to ask for clarification if the doc says something you don't understand. They have a way of talking over your head...that was a big problem when my mom was sick.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I am so sorry.  I was the primary caretaker for my father and my daughter when they were diagnosed with cancer.  I did a lot of online research to figure out what to ask.  It looks like you have the main questions - but there may be more on the web relating to her specific illness.  Also you can get doctor's credentials on the web a well.  It is a big job, best wishes to you and your mom!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:06 PM

What are her treatment options? 

Are your services covered by her insurance?

Gosh, Lisa.  I'm so sorry your mom is going through this.  I suppose my own parents will be facing these kinds of things one day ...

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Thank you!

Quoting nana9106:

Prayers for your mom and you. My only advice is to ask for clarification if the doc says something you don't understand. They have a way of talking over your head...that was a big problem when my mom was sick.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM

We know that she has Lymphoma, just not what type and stage yet. WE will find that out tomorrow. This doctor hass been highly recomendd by several people, including my mom's best friend who is battling breast cancer. My daughter's oncologist, Neurosurgeon, neurologist, radiologist,and endrochronologist have all been very good about making sure I have understood everything with her cancer and treatment. I hope my mom's doctor is tht way also

Quoting Maddie24:

I am so sorry.  I was the primary caretaker for my father and my daughter when they were diagnosed with cancer.  I did a lot of online research to figure out what to ask.  It looks like you have the main questions - but there may be more on the web relating to her specific illness.  Also you can get doctor's credentials on the web a well.  It is a big job, best wishes to you and your mom!

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM

We already made sure he takes her insurance but thanks for adding treatment options!

Quoting suzeebloch:

What are her treatment options? 

Are your services covered by her insurance?

Gosh, Lisa.  I'm so sorry your mom is going through this.  I suppose my own parents will be facing these kinds of things one day ...

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Something that I wish that I had thought of is to record the session, if the doctor permits. I was so upset and distraught that I had very little memory of my consultation, even though I felt perfectly calm. You are wise to make a list, and write down the answers if the doctor doesn't agree with recording. Good luck! I'd be interested in what you find out, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I don't have access to anything I can record with, that is why I am taking a list and plan on writing down the answers. I do already know of a web site that goes into great detail about many of the different chemo medications, what side effects they can cause, what foods to avoid if any, ECT. It was a great help when Adrienne was on chemo.

Quoting Bmat:

Something that I wish that I had thought of is to record the session, if the doctor permits. I was so upset and distraught that I had very little memory of my consultation, even though I felt perfectly calm. You are wise to make a list, and write down the answers if the doctor doesn't agree with recording. Good luck! I'd be interested in what you find out, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)