Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Two for the price of one (long mom update)

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

My mom actually has two cancers, both are caused by the same lymph cell mutation. She has been diagnosed with stage 4 Non-Hodgkin's Small Cell Lymphocytic Lymphoma and Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. It pretty much means she has cancer cells in both her blood (leukemia) and her lymph glands.

The treatment for both is the same. There is a very small chance that she has Mantle Cell Lymphoma instead of the SLL. They are going to be doing a bone biopsy next week to determine that. If she does have it, her treatment will be different. 

Tomorrow I have to take her for a PET scan.

The doctor was very good at explaining everything, I didn't even have to ask any of the questions I prepared. The doctor said that she will never be able to be cured but she can be put into remission and the cancer will always come back 4 or 5 years later. This can happen over and over. We do not know yet, which chemo drugs she will be on, we will learn that next week. She did get a prescription for ativan to help her sleep on nights she can't, and another med (can't remember the name at the moment) for when she starts chemo because the masses will release large amounts of Uric acid and it could damage her liver and kidneys.

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I'm so sorry. How scary. *HUGS* At least remission is possible though. That's a good thing to hold onto.

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I really hope that your mom goes into remission and stays there.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Here is hoping for a soon and long-lasting remission.

rojastarr
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Sweetheart, you know I am praying for both you and your mom. You are the strongest person I know. No one else would have made it thru without being found rocking in a corner in the fetal position sucking their thumb. Truly....I wish I could carry some of your burden. If you ever need to talk just give me a call or have me call you....I have so many rollover minutes it is crazy.

kam013
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Oh Lisa, I am so sorry for that news.  Cancer is the absolute worst.  Your Mom is extremely lucky to have you by her side as she goes through this.  I will say my prayers for all of you.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Hugs!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Esmrlda
by Esme on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM

im sorry  hugs Hopefully she will be able to get a good nights rest with the Ativan at least.

nana9106
by Darlene on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I hope she goes unto remission quickly after she starts treatments. I will be praying for her

(((HUGS)))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Thank you for updating us on your mom.  I'm so sorry....the prognosis sounds promising but cancer is cancer and it's a horrible disease.  I will be remembering her in my prayers.  Lets all hope and pray that she'll go into remission very soon!!  Hugs to you both.  :)

rosebud727
by Rose on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I'm really sorry and hoping for a better outcome.

(((huge hugs)))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)