Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Do you got to church? Regularly or just at the holidays or special events?

If you go to church, are you active in your church? If so, what extra activities do you participate in?

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I used to attend every Sunday, for years. But then I was involved in an accident where my car was hit from behind while I was stopped at a stop sign, and it has become very painful for me to sit in pews, even with a cushion behind my back. So I go for special occasions only and take a painkiller before I go and leave early if I can't take the pain anymore.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I was also very active at one point. President of the Trustees, taught Sunday School, Bible School, children's choir. Then I got a job and left volunteering behind me.

jlsjjsmom
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I go to church pretty nearly every week. I lead a Tuesday woman's group. We're about 75% fellowship and 25% bible study. I also greet 2 or 3 months out of the year. I count offering 4 months out of the year. I do fellowship one Sunday every other month or so. I help in the tech booth one Sunday every other month or so. I'm liturgist 2-3x a year and I answer phones on Mondays for an hour while they have their staff meeting. I also work at the local food pantry every Tuesday, which our church supports. So I guess you could say I'm pretty involved LOL. I was the administrative assistant there for 4 years from 2006-2010. I miss certain parts of the job but not others.

And it's one of my pet peeves when a small minority of Christians make us all look bad. Those that are judgmental/unaccepting/etc. and call themselves Christians really irk me! Seems like there are such extremists in all religions, in political parties, in pretty much any organized group.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I have never been baptized, although both of my parents were raised as Catholics.  I have never been to church except to attend weddings. 

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM
We attend mass regularly. My husband is a KoC. And the kids are active in youth. I dont do anything extra.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
homeskoolmama
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I use to live at church almost. But dh stopped going almost 2 years ago and makes it near impossible for me to go the last year. I can listen to our pastor online but it is not the same. I miss the fellowship. We were very active.

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Keep trying! Even though it can be a real drag.  I admit that I've gotten up and walked out of some churches in the middle of the service. My DH has given me a hard time about this, but if it isn't right, it isn't right.

I have never experienced any bashing in any church that I've attended, but I have just known when it wasn't the palce for me. We found a great church when we lived in Denver. They had leaders from other faiths come and speak as guests and I always enjoyed that.When we moved away, it took 7 years to find a new one. lol...It's been an amazing pleasure to feel like I have a church home again. It was worth he wait.

Quoting Cindy18:

Going back to church is something I think about often. 

We always went when I was little, until my parents divorced when I was 10. 

I just can't find a church that I really like. I've gone to my sister's church but really don't like that propaganda they preach. Yes, IMO, it's propaganda. I'm very liberal and open to everyone so when a church bashes other religions it's over for me. 

I like my client's church but it would be a conflict of interest. 

Shellness
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I have not been very active at church. I do love it though. Jesus was not a fan of religion but he did found and love his church. I love the fellowship I get from being around people whom share my faith.

WillTimsmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Yes, my DH and I actually met in  our church's single's bible study.  We still go every Sunday and I participate in our ladies bible study classes.  My DH volunteers when there are needs for builiding maintenance or special events.  I don't usually volunteer too much since I am in our church choir and work full time. 

WillTimsmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Just curious - why would it be a conflict of interest?  Our Pastors wife invited her hairdresser to join our Sunday School group that she (pastors wife) teaches.  We have a lot of people that have been invited by business clients.

Quoting Cindy18:

Going back to church is something I think about often. 

We always went when I was little, until my parents divorced when I was 10. 

I just can't find a church that I really like. I've gone to my sister's church but really don't like that propaganda they preach. Yes, IMO, it's propaganda. I'm very liberal and open to everyone so when a church bashes other religions it's over for me. 

I like my client's church but it would be a conflict of interest. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN