Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My 22 year old

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM
  • 25 Replies

My son, oh how I love him. He's a fine man. But since coming back from Iraq he's only been able to find minimum wage jobs and is so unhappy. He says he wants to go back into the Army but is sabotaging himself. It's the kind of thing where to him I have to say "I'm so proud of you" (which I am), "You're so brave"! While inside I'm screaming "No No Please don't go back into that dangerous place and please don't leave, I love you so much." - Thoughts a mother keeps to herself. It's so very hard.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caro100
by Carol on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Sigh, I have a 19 year old, getting ready to go over there.  What about the GI bill? Can't he get back to school?  It's hard in this economy to get a job of any kind, much less one that is minimum wage.  I hear you, good luck and ((HUGS))

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
My 26 year old was in the army for 6 years. He was shot and hit in the head with shrapnel. I wouldn't want him to go back either, BUT I just encouraged my little brother to go into the airforce and he should graduate basic in 2 weeks. I would also support any of my other children who decided that is what path they wanted to do, especially if their life was dead ending over and over. I want my children to succeed in life and their need to be successful outweighs my wants to have them home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovemyshadows
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this

My son is 33. He has 12 years in.  We keep telling him to say in as there are no jobs out here.  He's been to Afghanistan, Romania, Germany, Korea and one undisclosed location.  I worry about him, but I think it's the best place for him right now.

DrRobinAston
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM

You are a brave woman and I totally agree with you. It can be a wonderful life for them (my father was a veteran of 3 wars and the sweetest man) just tuff on Mom. But our role is to buck up and just support them.

Robin Aston in Maine

DrRobinAston
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM

It's our job to be brave too. Just hard sometimes.

Robin Aston in Maine

DrRobinAston
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Thanks so much for the hug. College just felt like high school drama when he got back so he doesn't want to go that route Something will click. My job is to be patient. Bless your son and the honor he bestows on our country. Our heros.

Robin Aston in Maine

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I can appreciate how you feel.  My youngest served 6 years in the Army and a couple years ago when his enlistment was up, decided to get out.  Like your son, he could not find a decent paying job and with a wife and baby to support, he missed the benefits of the military - medical, dental, hospitalization, etc.  So he reenlisted and since he had served 2 tours in Afghanistan without sustaining any injuries, I was and am concerned for his safety.  But as you know, we as mothers of adult sons have to support them in their life decisions.  My son is now stationed at Ft Campbell and it is my fervent hope he will not again be put in harm's way, I am so very proud of him.  My oldest son is career Navy having enlisted right out of high school because he did not think college was the route he wanted to travel.  Well, thanks to the Navy and his own hard work he now has a bachelor's and two master's degrees and is a ranking officer.  And after now 22 years in the navy has never been onboard ship and has had wonderful duty stations, such as Hawaii, Florida, South Carolina, Monterey, California and now Falls Church, Virginia.  Yes, we are proud of him as well.

DrRobinAston
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

You deserve to be proud. Thanks so much for telling us about them. Our heros!

Robin Aston in Maine

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest DS was thinking about joining the Army when he got out of HS but his GF at the time talked him out of it. I didn't say anything about it but I was secretly relieved. I can understand being proud of your son. If mine had chose to serve I would have been proud of him to but I don't know how well I  would have handled the stress.

DrRobinAston
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM

You pray... you just simply pray. 

Robin Aston in Maine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)