Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My son, oh how I love him. He's a fine man. But since coming back from Iraq he's only been able to find minimum wage jobs and is so unhappy. He says he wants to go back into the Army but is sabotaging himself. It's the kind of thing where to him I have to say "I'm so proud of you" (which I am), "You're so brave"! While inside I'm screaming "No No Please don't go back into that dangerous place and please don't leave, I love you so much." - Thoughts a mother keeps to herself. It's so very hard.

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Replies (21-25):
sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Your son may not be ABLE to get back in.  And if he DOES get back in, his opinion that <<<College just felt like high school drama when he got back so he doesn't want to go that route>>> better get an overhaul.  An enlisted person cannot stay in the military forever.  An enlisted person must be promoted within certain time-frames during their career, or they must separate from the service. The services have reduced the number of years someone can stay in without getting promoted.   So now, they can only get the points they need for promotion by getting CIVILIAN  EDUCATION. 

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/02/army-drawdown-lowdown-9-things-you-need-to-know-021912w/

And speaking of education, this article will tell you why your son with his military experience, can only get a minimum wage job.  http://www.pbase.com/image/86731606

sabrtooth1
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Quoting DrRobinAston: 

I'm afraid none were available where he was overseas. 

<<<can one really get a college degree while on active duty. The answer is yes. Several hundred enlisted military personnel do this every year. >>>   http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/recruiter8_3.htm

Shellness
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Tell him to stick to it. Maybe look into the oil fields in Texas. They pay very well. Tell him to not feel bad. My cousin a who went to the air force academy, went into the air force as an officer and just retired about a year ago at 42 as a Colonel had the same issue as your son! He literally worked at a DOLLAR STORE while he was trying to get a job that was decent. My brother who retired as a drill sargent in the marines, same thing. Took him about 3 YEARS but now does security (virtual) for a major software company and is making wonderful money.

Its awful to see them struggle like that, I know.

terri-553
I am thankful to have you Girls as my part of my very small circle of friends
Today at 9:42 AM
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Thank him for his service,as itis people like him who afford us our way of freedoom & life,But as a Mom,I can feel your pain,And not wanting him to return,And God Bless both of you with his  choice

DrRobinAston
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM

You're so kind!

Quoting terri-553:

Thank him for his service,as itis people like him who afford us our way of freedoom & life,But as a Mom,I can feel your pain,And not wanting him to return,And God Bless both of you with his  choice

Robin in Maine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN