Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

a Will?  We had wills done by a lawyer when Cassidy was a baby.  Now that she is about to turn 21, we are going to get our wills redone.  A lot of people die intestate (without having made a will)  and that can be messy, and relatives end up inheriting stuff they never would have wanted certain people to  have.  Also people end up fighting over the estate, and lawyers end up making money. 

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Yes we do. And it was updated in December. We have had wills for 30 years now. I don't understand people not having them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Yes but wills are sometimes no enough talk to lawyer find ways to get around inheritance taxes or put kids names on bank accounts  too   All so do living will power of attorney and check that all insurance policy and benif are up to date also pensions

rosebud727
by Rose on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Yes, we do.

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I have wanted one for a long time but I just can't spare the money it would cost to make one.

cherylam
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

we did wills within a year of getting married.  DH was surprised to find out even if he had a will, if we were in car accident and he was killed, his family was entitled to part of any settlement, unless he directed differantly.  So we left everything to each other first, then to our children if the other didn't survive us.  That way, my siblings, with whom I have no contact  with, can't come in and try to take everything from DH or the kids... trust me, they are a pack of idiots, and we haven't spoken in years.

terri-553
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Yes,I am working of ours we will have 2 one for each of us,and one togther as one never knows.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM

We do have a will and recently updated it since the one we originally had was made 35 years ago and listed guardianship for our now adult children.  And naturally our assets have changed so it was way past time to change.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Quoting suzeebloch:

No, I don't.  I keep intending to, though. 

When my ex died, he had already prepaid his cremation, too.  That sure helped my kids because I was still sending Johnny college money at that time and didn't have the money to bury him. 

That is a good point to mention about prepaying the cremation, or funeral service/burial.  When a person dies, often bank accounts are frozen until the will has been probated, and the heirs may not be able to come up with the money to pay for the funeral expenses.  

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM

No, I dont have one.

boys2men2soon
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

We need to update ours, as our sons are now 22 and 19.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)