Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Cooking-what is your story?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM
  • 26 Replies

Do you enjoy cooking?

Are you good at it?

Did you have a family member teach you?

Do you know someone who just does not know how to cook?

Is there anything that you can't cook?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shellness
by Michell on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I do enjoy cooking.

I think I am pretty good at it.

My Grandmother taught me a few things but I am mostly self taught. I watch cooking shows and have learned a lot of things on them too.

My sister's can't cook. None of them. Not a lick. I don't know why :)

I have a hard time baking bread. I need better equipment I think!

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I do not enjoy cooking.

I do fairly well when I do cook.  My kids never starved.

Some from my mother and some on my own.

My daughter in law never learned how.  She is doing better now but not perfect.

gr8d8n3mom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Do you enjoy cooking? Yes very much.

Are you good at it? Yes. I feel I was taught "by the best ;)"

Did you have a family member teach you? My great grand mother, my grand mother & my father all taught me how to cook.(we owned family restaurants)

Do you know someone who just does not know how to cook? My DH's X & none of the SKDS, know how, and they don't want to learn.

Is there anything that you can't cook? Yes, there is plenty I can't cook! I'm always learning! Lately I'm having issues with home made busicuits rising properly! :(

planning a wedding

KittyGram
by Becky on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I love cooking. I've gotten very good at it over the years. Unfortunately, it's only me in the house, and it's really not much fun cooking for just me. That's why I've been teaching the granddaughters (and Oliver's gotten his "feet wet" too), and I love to cook with/for my daughter as well. I'm pretty much self-taught. I baked when I still lived at home, which I don't do much of anymore at all, but I didn't start cooking until I was oh, 26 or so, and had a garden of my own for the first time. My sisters (I have 8 of them) are all wonderful cooks, and my one surviving brother, who just divorced 3 years ago after more than 30 years of marriage, is even teaching himself!!!! I know plenty of people that can't cook, or so they say. Some of them, I think, just use it as an excuse. Not all of them - I do believe some people have natural talent in any area of life, so it stands to reason that some people just aren't born to cook - but I think it's a shame that there are people my age that "can't" even make a simple dinner - I've tried to "teach" a few of them. I gave up.

I don't think there's anything that I CAN'T cook, I just HAVEN'T yet!!!! I don't fear cooking anything anymore! I'm sure I won't have time to cook it all, though!!!!

Saturday, my daughter and I cooked Indian food. I made 2 entrees, she made one, then when I got to her house, we cooked the rice and made an appetizer as well, and she made the flatbread. The appetizer was good, but not quite as flavorful as we've had at restaurants, but everything else turned out amazingly incredible!!!! As my daughter posted on facebook that night, she and I are good cooks!!!! (That was FUN! And we've decided we're going to eat our way around the world. About once every two months, we'll pick an ethnicity to try to cook!!!)
DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I do enjoy cooking.  

Some things I am very good at, such as appetizers and main courses. I like to create my own recipes, or tweak them, rather than follow a recipe religiously.

My mother was an amazing cook, and baker.  I have all of her recipes. 

My husband.

I don't eat fish or seafood, so don't cook it, rather than "can't".  I don't bake because people who stay slim don't bake, in my experience.  

Marinefranksmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Yes, I do enjoy cooking & I am good at it.  I am half-Italian & Italians seem to like to "say it with food" -  celebrating anything, to providing comfort to healing illness, and that would be me.  My Mom (Italian) taught me to cook and even before that, I enjoyed watching her Mom who lived downstairs.  Grandma & Grandpa made everything from scratch including sauce made from her homegrown tomatoes to wine from Grandpa's grapes.  She even made her own pasta by hand.  I had always enjoyed cooking & I also find it therapeutic and satisfying.  Nothing like making up sauces, soups & stews on a wintry weekend!  I only know 2 people who just don't know how to cook - my husband (he's the only man on both sides of my family who doesn't cook & that includes my Dad, my son, my brother & all my uncles & my cousins' husbands - all good cooks!), and my daughter in law.  However, my husband makes wonderful salads & a "killer" Manhattan clam chowder, and my DIL has a couple of dishes she is good at including  broiled catfish nuggets, stuffed shells and a couple of crockpot dishes.  So, she's learning.  I can & do cook almost anything, but I'm not much of a baker (I do a couple of cake & pie recipes but that's all) & I'm not good at dough, probably because I don't have the kitchen space & don't get much practice.  I do have a couple of friends who know how to cook but they don't enjoy it. 

my4kidsrock2
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I enjoy baking and I am starting to enjoy cooking a little more.

I don't know how good I really am, but there isn't anything I make that everyone refuses to eat, lol.

No one taught me to cook. I wish someone would have. I can see it being something that I really could have enjoyed over the years instead of thinking of it as a chore.

My son can't cook. He's 19. My husband and I have both tried to teach him to make a few easy things but he always finds a way to mess them up, even instant potatoes, lol.

I haven't found anything yet that I can't cook but I have just recently started really cooking. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before something comes along that I can't do.

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I LOVE to cook and bake

Pretty good at it, and getting better. I'm learning to trust my instinct if something isn't coming together right and figuring out on my own how to fix it.

My mom taught me a little bit, but most importantly she taught me that food should be made from scratch and don't be afraid to try.

I know lots of people that think it's a gift that you need to be born with and don't have any interest in learning.

The only thing I can think of that I haven't tried because I'm scared is canning. I'm afraid I'll do it wrong and all that work will have gone to waste or I'll kill us with botchalism. lol

lyngerdam
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

The summer I turned 16, and got my driver license in July. In August, my mother broke both her legs and had casts from her thighs to her toes. I am only child and my father was running his own business. I learned to cook pretty fast. Since then I've learned a lot. I bake a lot. The only thing I don't do much is pork. Somehow it's either dry or raw. Also, I am allergic to fish so, I don't make that either.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Do you enjoy cooking? sometimes..it depends on the day and it is hard where I live because I have very litle space to do things.

Are you good at it? Not good but not bad either

Did you have a family member teach you? No, which is strange concidering my mom has always loved to cook and bake and she is amazing at it.

Do you know someone who just does not know how to cook? Besides my husband? LOL

Is there anything that you can't cook? probably something I haven't rried cooking yet. Everything I have ever attempted came out OK.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)