Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Cooking-what is your story?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you enjoy cooking?

Are you good at it?

Did you have a family member teach you?

Do you know someone who just does not know how to cook?

Is there anything that you can't cook?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Replies (21-26):
kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I love to cook and have been told by friends and family I'mpretty good at it.And have taught some of my friends that didn't know how to very well,how to use just using some of the basic things in your kitchen you can make some delicious things. And you don't always have to go by the recipe,tweak it!  lol And I enjoy just making up my own thing as I go.

I mainly learned by settingin the kitchen and watching my Great Aunt and when at hoe watching my Mom and Dad. My Mom admits that Daddy taught her how to cook.lol  Both of them were fantastic cooks,nothing fancy just good country home cooking. When I was in my teens I started cooking at home because my Mom was working and I would just come home from school and start dinner for her. And some of the things I learned from them I still get compliments on. Like how my Mom made her roasts and my Dads french toast are always hits.  I have some secret ingredient recipes too.lol

I also love to bake also but still have a hard time with yeast breads. Thank goodness for my bread machine. And I'm not into a lot of the exotic foods so haven't really ventured into experimenting with any of it.

A couple of my younger friends that were married didn't know how to cook but hopefully by now they've gotten the hang of it.

emeraldc2
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I love to cook. I am very good, but lately seem to overseason everything!

My mom taught me how to make meatloaf and potato salad. My dad taught me how to make spaghetti sauce. My sister in law taught me how to make bread and pies. The rest I am self taught.I experiment and bake a lot especially since I got a stand mixer.

My one daughter likes to bake, the other has no interest. My dh does not cook at all.

I cannot make an omelette but would like to learn.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Do you enjoy cooking? Most of the time. 

Are you good at it? I think so. I flub up from time to time!

Did you have a family member teach you? My Mom taught me some stuff and I learned a lot in school. I would watch cooking shows on tv when I was younger and learned some from them. Little tips and secrets I learn from others all the time.

Do you know someone who just does not know how to cook? I know some people who don't want to be bothered with it.

Is there anything that you can't cook? I cannot make rolled cut-out cookies. If things need special equipment like a candy thermometer or a springform pan, I just don't do it. Could if I really wanted to.

cherylam
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I like to think I'm good at it, but my specialty is baking.  Actual cooking is my husbands talent, and if I try to cook, he runs me out of the kitchen, lol.  Last night was spaghetti... i cooked meatballs, started the water for the noodles.... and he took over, literally.  i ended up sitting in my chair watching him.

robin7771
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Yes, enjoy trying new recipes, I have never cooked fish. Grandparents and school taught me how to cook and bake. I am good at it if I am not reading or multi-tasking. 

EireLass
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Nobody taught me. We weren't allowed to help Mom in the kitchen. So I just  by doing when I got married at 19. Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I'm too tired. I make everything from scratch.

My new hubby is funny in the kitchen. Sometimes he likes to surprise me and cook. haha. It's funny. Last week I came in from my excercise class, and I was just going to make blueberry pancakes. He said "oh, I'm already in preparation to cook".....okay good. He was going to make ham and cheese omlets. He had the cheese cut up into tiny cubes. hahaha. He's never used a grater and didn't know we had one. hahahaha. I have a million kitchen things. The week before he made spaghetti, which is always good. The neighbor gave us some venison, and he thought it was ground...but it was steak. He cut the steak up into tiny cubes. He said he didn't know if I had a meat grinder. hahaha. Um...You'd see it out if I did!! haha. He's my dummy helper. haha

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)