Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Breastfeeding your babies

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM
  • 16 Replies

Did you breastfeed your babies?

Was it easy for you or did you struggle with it?

If you didn't and could do it all over again would you?

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shellness
by Michell on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM

My first baby I did not. I was only 18 and didn't even think about it.

The second ones were the twins. I actually tried and did not get proper training! The pediatrician in the hospital at the time told me if I didn't put them on the bottle they were going to starve. No one helped me with techniques. I didn't want my babies to suffer so I quit after a couple days. My milk hadn't even let down properly (though I had no clue of that at the time) so we missed out on a wonderful opportunity.

With my last baby I did it! It worked out great and I breastfed her until I went back to work when she was 6 months old. She did really good.

If I knew then what I know now, yes, I would have breastfed all of my babies. Even if I had to supplement the twins.

teaching1972
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

No,I didn't.  Some how it just wasn't for me.  It really wasn't the thing to do in the 70's.  My sons all grew up to be healthy, nurtured young men.  I think it is what works best for each person.  The loving is as big a part at the method of feeding.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I did not breast feed my first son.  He was a preemie and had to be put on a special preemie formula.  When my daughter was born, the doctor insisted I breast feed and I was willing to do it except my blood pressure was such that I had to be put on blood pressure meds and they would have affected the baby adversely, so I didn't.  My youngest son was way past the baby stage when he came into our lives.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I breastfed both my children.  Johnny is 10 years younger and I remember thinking to myself that I couldn't recall all the sweet little moments with Jessica when she was a baby - so I made a point to try and remember with Johnny.  I loved breastfeeding - in my rocking chair, singing/humming lullabies.  Gosh. 

nana9106
by Darlene on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:07 PM
I breastfed both of my kids. But I was not a major milk producer. I had to supplement formula.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I never breast fed, it never even crossed my mind to be honest. Back then it wasn't as widely advocated and was never even suggested to me. Not even by WIC. I am a very self conscious person so I doubt I'd even do it today just because I would be able to "feel" people "staring" at me.

homeskoolmama
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

No I did not. 2 of the 3 my milk did not come in and my third son was premature and so there was no milk then either.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Yes. I did breastfeed my babies. It was pretty easy for me. I would do it all over again. I fed each of them well over a year.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I tried with my first but she got very jaundiced and I had to feed her formula.  After that I just nursed her for comfort for a couple months.  My 2nd was born 17 months later and I didn't even try.   My 3rd was born 14 yrs later and I knew what I was doing as I had been a nursing assistant in the nursery at the hospital and taught mothers how to nurse.  I thought I would be successful this time as she was an excellent nurser.  However, I never produced more than a few sips :(  After reading up on Insufficient Glandular Tissue I realize I was a classic example.  I also nursed her for comfort for a couple months.  My oldest dd had problems nursing.  It will be interesting to see if my youngest will be able to do it.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:14 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I loved, loved, BF my kids,
At first with oldest it was a struggle but then all was good.
With second it was fine but since he was losing weight they wanted me to stop
While I did kind of .. I was sad when I eventually had to stop altogether :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)