Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Employee's Rights

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:54 AM
  • 20 Replies

My daughter has work for a grocery chain for over 5years and she is very good at her job. She change her hair coloring from blonde to aurburn.  Yesterday she comes home and tells be she is being order by the owner to change back to blonde. She did it because blonde hair is very damage and aurburn gives her face color.  She is 21. Does he have right to tell her to change her hair back? Mom   

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:59 AM
No unless it is a very unnatural color and the handbook states that color can't be used then he cannot tell her that.

Two girls at our local publixs have blue streaks and one has hot pink.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Wow, I sure wouldn't think so, unless it is written into her employment contract that she cannot change her hair color.  Maybe if the new color is a definite distraction, such as bright magenta or pink or something, I could understand but even so, I wouldn't think they could order her to change her color.  There might be more going on than she or you is describing.  Can you share before and after photos? 

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Do they have those rules public and known for everyone. They can fire or not hire people with piercings or tattoos if they like. I guess they can hair too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:26 AM

That doesn't sound right to me.

LeJane
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

The only way to know for sure is to get ahold of a personal attorney or someone at your state labor board.     

http://community.lawyers.com/forums/t/120276.aspx

It sounds like they do have the right to request the color change.      I liked the idea of wearing a wig to work.   :-)

It is just hair.    If she wants to keep her job I would say she is better off to not fight it and just go with it.   Fighting supervisors' request is a sure way to get on their bad side.   Although she likes her job,  how is her relationship with her superiors ?     Sometimes people over us seek ways to get rid of employees who have bad attitudes towards them.   Could this be the case ?  I am just asking because it can be fixed if something like this is going on.     I would advise her to either change it back or look for another job.   

Any form of permanent hair coloring is damaging and drying to the hair.    What is her natural hair color ?  

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I think it is possible if it is stated in the contract and she agreed to it. I have heard of these things before but it usually involved some drastic unnatural color or very outlandish clothing.

Maybe the color is too drastic and a more subtle blond with red low-lights might work for her. 

robin7771
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM

She was born a blonde but over the years it is ash blonde. She is an excellent employee and looks at all her bosses as big brothers and sisters. She respects all of them  I help strip the auburn color out and now she is strawberry blonde. I hope they know that she adorns all of them. But to me as the mother I feel this proves that women have no rights. Keep in mind we are not being treat equal to men. This prove all mens are still pigs. Think about this before you change your hair color. What is next ? LOng scarfs over our heads. 

LeJane
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I hear you.     Things have definitely been changing through the years.     I am glad that she has a good relationship with her supervisors.     

I have worked with mainly men for over 20 years.     I disagree that "all men are pigs".     There are so many great men,    there are those however who have major character defects and who give the good men a bad rap.    

Some women have pushed things too far.     With false accusations, bitching, attitude and drama they have also brought on a new "fear" for the men who have to work with them.  It is a two way street.    These women are part of the reason that good women have a harder time.    There are both men and women who have made things the way they are...      Hugs !!    :-)

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I wouldnt think so but it seems with the high employment rate at this time employers can call any shots they want. I know mine changes the rules to fit her mood....cause she can and we dont have a company policy so whatever she says goes.  I would think it would state so in the company policy.  Poor thing, I hope she will have the same attitude for her job, supervisors and work ethic after all this is over.

gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:43 PM

No. Not unless it is a wild color and the store has a policy against it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)