Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To be when you were growing up?  Did you accomplish your goal or did you strike off in another direction?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I always resented what they referred to as "women's work".  All it did was make me stubborn to do something else.  One of the reason's I hate cooking.  It's what women do.

Quoting gr8d8n3mom:

A veterinarian. Nope, didn't get there.(stupid school counselor told me, girls become secretaries or house wives!) .. I did eventually start and own my own dog grooming business. & was a paramedic. along with substitute teaching..

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM

You probably got too big to be a jockey.  Early Chilhood Education is fun.

Quoting LEK19:

I remember wanting to be a jockey. Then it was a vet. Then a nanny or governess. I ended up with classes in Sociology and Psychology. Stopped and had some kids. Then went back to school and had a career in Early Childhood Education for about 16 years.  

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Quoting Why123:

I always resented what they referred to as "women's work".  All it did was make me stubborn to do something else.  One of the reason's I hate cooking.  It's what women do.

Quoting gr8d8n3mom:

A veterinarian. Nope, didn't get there.(stupid school counselor told me, girls become secretaries or house wives!) .. I did eventually start and own my own dog grooming business. & was a paramedic. along with substitute teaching..

I had a friend who was told in her senior year that she was a "nice, quiet girl. Why don't you be a nun?" by the guidance counselor. And that was in a public school! And in the late 70's!  

sweetnana1964
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I always loved kids and mainly wanted to be a mom and wife.  Now that my children are grown and out of the house i am going back to school to be a LVN :)

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Congratulations on going back to school.  I started college when I was 40.

Quoting sweetnana1964:

I always loved kids and mainly wanted to be a mom and wife.  Now that my children are grown and out of the house i am going back to school to be a LVN :)

mom-2-4boys
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

to be a mom, so yes accomplished it now working on a new goal

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I wanted very much to be a pathologist, particularly a forensic pathlogist and wound up being a RN - just couldn't afford all those extra years of schooling.  But I have no regrets - still in medicine and I loved it.

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM

We often change directions as we get older. 

Quoting mom-2-4boys:

to be a mom, so yes accomplished it now working on a new goal

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM

That is a whole lot of schooling.  Being a nurse is a wonderful thing to be.

Quoting mac1940:

I wanted very much to be a pathologist, particularly a forensic pathlogist and wound up being a RN - just couldn't afford all those extra years of schooling.  But I have no regrets - still in medicine and I loved it.

sweetnana1964
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That's wonderful, congrats. I will be 50 when I get certified :)

Quoting Why123:

Congratulations on going back to school.  I started college when I was 40.

Quoting sweetnana1964:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN