Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

To be when you were growing up?  Did you accomplish your goal or did you strike off in another direction?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I always resented what they referred to as "women's work".  All it did was make me stubborn to do something else.  One of the reason's I hate cooking.  It's what women do.

Quoting gr8d8n3mom:

A veterinarian. Nope, didn't get there.(stupid school counselor told me, girls become secretaries or house wives!) .. I did eventually start and own my own dog grooming business. & was a paramedic. along with substitute teaching..

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:15 AM

You probably got too big to be a jockey.  Early Chilhood Education is fun.

Quoting LEK19:

I remember wanting to be a jockey. Then it was a vet. Then a nanny or governess. I ended up with classes in Sociology and Psychology. Stopped and had some kids. Then went back to school and had a career in Early Childhood Education for about 16 years.  

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Quoting Why123:

I always resented what they referred to as "women's work".  All it did was make me stubborn to do something else.  One of the reason's I hate cooking.  It's what women do.

Quoting gr8d8n3mom:

A veterinarian. Nope, didn't get there.(stupid school counselor told me, girls become secretaries or house wives!) .. I did eventually start and own my own dog grooming business. & was a paramedic. along with substitute teaching..

I had a friend who was told in her senior year that she was a "nice, quiet girl. Why don't you be a nun?" by the guidance counselor. And that was in a public school! And in the late 70's!  

sweetnana1964
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I always loved kids and mainly wanted to be a mom and wife.  Now that my children are grown and out of the house i am going back to school to be a LVN :)

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Congratulations on going back to school.  I started college when I was 40.

Quoting sweetnana1964:

I always loved kids and mainly wanted to be a mom and wife.  Now that my children are grown and out of the house i am going back to school to be a LVN :)

mom-2-4boys
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

to be a mom, so yes accomplished it now working on a new goal

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I wanted very much to be a pathologist, particularly a forensic pathlogist and wound up being a RN - just couldn't afford all those extra years of schooling.  But I have no regrets - still in medicine and I loved it.

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM

We often change directions as we get older. 

Quoting mom-2-4boys:

to be a mom, so yes accomplished it now working on a new goal

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM

That is a whole lot of schooling.  Being a nurse is a wonderful thing to be.

Quoting mac1940:

I wanted very much to be a pathologist, particularly a forensic pathlogist and wound up being a RN - just couldn't afford all those extra years of schooling.  But I have no regrets - still in medicine and I loved it.

sweetnana1964
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM

That's wonderful, congrats. I will be 50 when I get certified :)

Quoting Why123:

Congratulations on going back to school.  I started college when I was 40.

Quoting sweetnana1964:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)