Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Menopause?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM
  • 40 Replies

Ok, I had a partial hysterectomy 5 years ago, just recently within the last two weeks I started getting "hot flashes"  and like squiggly things in my eyes, well last night (I always wear a panty liner because at night if I have to pee I'm afraid of "dribbling" before making it to the bathroom) I got up like normal to use the rest room and saw I had bled on my panty liner! This has never happened before.  Has anyone else gone through this? I'm assuming this is menopause, I will be 50 in June. Any advice with all this would be appreciated! 

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Jeanine on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM

What is a partial hysterectomy?  I had my ovaries removed years ago so didn't have to go through menopause.  Hope things go smoothly for you!

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM

It's called breakthrough bleeding.  I had it happen to me.  You don't really bleed much and it goes away quickly.

tlcory
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM

A partial hysterectomy is when only the upper part of the uterus is removed but the cervix is left intact, plus I had one ovary removed.  

Quoting jabs54:

What is a partial hysterectomy?  I had my ovaries removed years ago so didn't have to go through menopause.  Hope things go smoothly for you!

tlcory
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Thank you, how did you manage your menopause, is there anything in particular that helped you through it?

Quoting Why123:

It's called breakthrough bleeding.  I had it happen to me.  You don't really bleed much and it goes away quickly.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Not much help here! I am just starting to go through it myself. In the last three months I missed one month, had a regular period and now have been spotting more days than not in January!

I should get a check-up - haven't had one in years. 

Did your doctor say anything about what to expect with a partial-hysterectomy? 

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM

My mom told me sage tea because that was what the doctor told her.  You can get a blackberry sage tea that seems to help.

Quoting tlcory:

Thank you, how did you manage your menopause, is there anything in particular that helped you through it?

Quoting Why123:

tlcory
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Well if he did I don't remember, ugh I know that sounds aweful but I am so bad about just getting what needs to be done, push it out of my mind and move on to the next thing.  At the time I just had a miscarriage (one reason for hysterectomy), my daughter just gave birth to my first Grandbaby and I was working a new job. I look back and realize I should have asked a lot more questions. I do need to get in to the Dr.s and get a check up, blood work etc. and get a grip with what's going on with my body now. 

Quoting LEK19:

Not much help here! I am just starting to go through it myself. In the last three months I missed one month, had a regular period and now have been spotting more days than not in January!

I should get a check-up - haven't had one in years. 

Did your doctor say anything about what to expect with a partial-hysterectomy? 

tlcory
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I will definately try that Thank you!

Quoting Why123:

My mom told me sage tea because that was what the doctor told her.  You can get a blackberry sage tea that seems to help.

Quoting tlcory:

Quoting Why123:

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I had an IUD placed in 2006 and it was scheduled to be replaced in 2011.  With the IUD in place I didn't have periods.  In 2009/2010 I started to experience hot flashes. So when 2011 rolled around to have it replaced, my doctor did blood work and told me I was in menopause!  lol.  She removed it and for the next 3 months I had light break-through bleeding - freaked me out - I had her repeat the blood work to MAKE CERTAIN I was in menopause!  and the tests still came back that I was in menopause.  and then the break-through bleeding stopped.  I still have hot flashes - but they really aren't that bad so I don't try to do anything special to stop them.  Hey, they are kind of nice when it's FREEZING outside!  lol.  like my own personal space heater ...

tlcory
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Thank you, I hope I have mild menopause too! Lol  I knew it was coming but yikes I guess you are never fully mentally prepared!

Quoting suzeebloch:

I had an IUD placed in 2006 and it was scheduled to be replaced in 2011.  With the IUD in place I didn't have periods.  In 2009/2010 I started to experience hot flashes. So when 2011 rolled around to have it replaced, my doctor did blood work and told me I was in menopause!  lol.  She removed it and for the next 3 months I had light break-through bleeding - freaked me out - I had her repeat the blood work to MAKE CERTAIN I was in menopause!  and the tests still came back that I was in menopause.  and then the break-through bleeding stopped.  I still have hot flashes - but they really aren't that bad so I don't try to do anything special to stop them.  Hey, they are kind of nice when it's FREEZING outside!  lol.  like my own personal space heater ...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)