Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ON FIRE!!!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ladies, I bought 3 pounds of hamburger last weekend and made a crockpot full of chili.  BIG PROBLEM - I over did the spices!!! HOLY MOLY THIS CHILI IS SCREAMING! 

What can I do to tone this down?  Should I add some more hamburger and a couple cans of tomato sauce and no more spices?  I don't know WHAT I did but this stuff is nearly inedible! 

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSnaps
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Break it up into mini batches to mix half and half with a fresh batch with no spice in it?

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I googled it and it said that the capsaisin dissolves in oil so skimming the oil off the top will help.  Another said they added 2 T. peanut butter and 1 T. brown sugar and a little chocolate.  

Good luck! 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

well huh.  This is something I didn't think about Googling!  lol.  thanks!  I don't have peanut butter though.  I just ate a bowl of chili and took a zantac.  maybe that will work for now.

Quoting jabs54:

I googled it and it said that the capsaisin dissolves in oil so skimming the oil off the top will help.  Another said they added 2 T. peanut butter and 1 T. brown sugar and a little chocolate.  

Good luck! 

KittyGram
by Becky on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I did that with my Cincinnati Chili once.  I accidently put cayenne in instead of chili powder.  It was very tasty, but too hot to eat!!!  I did exactly what MamaSnaps suggested - I made another batch the next day, mixed the two, and froze some of it.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Ok well I'm the 3rd person who thinks this is what you need to do.  lol  :)

Quoting KittyGram:

I did that with my Cincinnati Chili once.  I accidently put cayenne in instead of chili powder.  It was very tasty, but too hot to eat!!!  I did exactly what MamaSnaps suggested - I made another batch the next day, mixed the two, and froze some of it.

stepmominhell
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Whenever your mouth is on fire from something to hot, you are to drink Milk or eat a creamsicle as silly as that sounds.

Milk or an orange creamsicle are the only items that will tone down the heat and capsasin from the heat.  Don't drink water because it does nothing.

Also, split the batches into smaller quantities...  Add more chopped meat, no spices, and more beans if you'd like...  You can add some more tomato sauce if you'd like also...  this will help get rid of some of the heat as well.

My husband adores hot food, and I can't stomach it...  We watch a lot of programs on hot foods so I learn a lot on how to make it, and how to cool down... 

homeskoolmama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Potatoes and cabbage will absorb the heat as well and then you could remove them if you wanted. Chocolate helps with the heat as well, you could use baking cocoa powder or melt chocolate in it. Also you could add a tsp of baking soda, it is a neutralizer.

valkay
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Put sour cream on it when you serve it. Serve with corn bread instead of crackers, cheese
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Thursday at 10:28 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM

So  what did you do to make it taste less spicey ?

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't do anything yet.  lol.  I put the rest of it up in the freezer, in 6 "batches."  The next time I buy hamburger, I'll make another batch, without the spices, though, and then mix it with the spicy batch.

Quoting hugss:

So  what did you do to make it taste less spicey ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)