Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

still no heat ... update #8

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:30 PM
  • 15 Replies

So I got home tonight around 7 - and my HEATER ISN'T WORKING!  It's dropped to 11 degrees outside (but still 63 inside) and supposed to drop to 5 by morning. BRRR.  I usually turn the heat off at night any way - I have one of those hotel-type heaters and only in the living room - the warmth (or the AC in the summer) doesn't reach back to the bedroom very well so it doesn't make sense to spend $$ heating/cooling the living room while I'm sleeping!  I have a little space heater for the bedroom (and a ceiling fan for summer) so I'm not going to freeze or anything.  I've called maintenance but they haven't returned my call yet.  My unit is on the ground floor and well-protected because I have the laundry/storage room on one side and my moocher-next-door-neighbor Tom on the other side, and units above and my plumbing is in the interior, not on any exterior walls, so no pipes are going to freeze and burst.  Plus I've got my bedroom window duct-taped shut to keep out the drafts and then a piece of styrofoam duct taped in place on top of that.  I duct taped the living room windows the first cold snap we got last month so that's keeping most of the drafts out.  but there is cold air seeping in thru the heater unit.  I think I'll cover the thing with an old quilt tonight.

How did our forefathers survive the winters?  Before electricity and space heaters?  lol.  And little to no insulation in the walls? I keep thinking of Laura in "The Long Winter" ... brrrr!  I think I'll read myself to sleep tonight with that book ... reading the first couple of chapters when it was blistering hot and she was helping Pa make hay ...

Behind the office at work, there is a homeless guy who lives in a tent next to the railroad tracks, under a bridge.  I sure hope he decides to get to an indoor shelter tonight.

well, I already took my sleepy meds and so now i'm going to drench myself in a hot shower and then crawl into bed.  I think I'll heat one of my rice or bean socks and put that where my feet go ... to help warm the covers.

Nitey nite!  :o)

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I am tired too and  I am not far behind you.  My daughter had one of those heaters and we did the same thing with duct-taping the windows.  I often wonder about how did my relatives made it without heat and air way back when.  I hope you are able to stay warm under a ton of blankets.  I also hope that maintenance gets it in gear tomorrow!!  Sweet dreams!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Ronna....I'd freeze if I lived with you!!  lol  I don't keep our heat where I'd really like to because I try to keep the bill down but boy...sleeping with no heat.  Maybe it's different in an apt though.  At night I have an electric blanket that I turn on high and then I go get in bed and turn it off.  It feels so good to go crawl in a warm bed.  I can't sleep in a hot room but NO heat....don't know if  I'd want to do that either.  lol  Hope you sleep well :)

homeskoolmama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:25 PM

oh I feel for you. I have lived in this house for 3 1/2 years and this is the first time we've had heat. NOW our temps don't get that low but still, with my health, the cold really gets to you. Hope you get some heat, SOON>

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Yikes,
Stay warm :)

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM

My dh's best friend lives out in the boonies and heats his cottage with wood.  He said it was 10 degrees in his house when he woke up.  And he doesn't have an indoor toilet!  I don't know how he does it!!!  We have a heated toilet seat :)

KittyGram
by Becky on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I have the floor board type heaters, one in each room.  I've never, in the 10 winters I've lived here, turned the one on in the kitchen!!!  Living room is barely on.  Bathroom gets turned on just as soon as I wake up in the morning, and gets turned off just as soon as I get done showering.  Bedroom one actually doesn't get turned on often at all.  Only if the air is bitterly cold in there.  I like the cooler temperatures, and I'm sure that's why I don't get sick very often anymore (I used to all. the. time.)  I do use 2 heavy quilts, but end up tossing at least one aside each night.

I grew up in a house that used wood heat.  When we went to bed, it was nice and toasty warm, because Mom or Dad loaded the stove up before they went to bed.  When we woke up in the mornings, we'd freeze our butts off.   

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

My daughter lives in an upstairs apartment in Duluth, Minnesota. She often turns off her heat because it is too hot and dry!

We keep our place on the cool side. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:13 PM

So the landlord called me today at work and said they'd be by today sometime.  I got home about 6:15 and they've been here - lights on, the quilt tossed on the couch - but still no heat.  No note.  No more phone call.  ugh.  but I've got my leggings and sweats on, a fleece shirt and my hoodie and socks and slippers.  I'll be fine.  Plus I'm leaving for St. Louis around noon and won't be back until sometime on Sunday.  I will survive!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Brrr .. hopefully tomorrow :)

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:50 AM

hope they fix your heat by the time you get home!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN