Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Do you pay for your grown kids to visit you, or how about family vacations?

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM
  • 15 Replies

My kids, who are grown and on their own, are not in careers that pay well. Which is fine, they are both happy, and do great work. But I still love to do family vacations every year or so, so I pay for them.  Otherwise they couldn't afford them.

I also will help pay for my son to come back for a visit. He just couldn't afford it with not only the time off from work, but the air fare. I'm happy to do it because I love to see my kids.

Otherwise they are financially responsible, don't live beyond their means, quite frugal.

Are there other moms who find themselves in the same position?

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Mine are still at home so I am not in your position. BUT as long as you can afford it and they aren't expecting it, then I say go for it.

kam013
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Well my children still either live with me or are nearby, though they are both adults.  So no need to pay for them to visit, although there are times I would pay for them to leave me alone!  LOL

Actually, I love having my kids/family around and we do still take family vacations every year.  Our last was to Disney, the kids, their SO's and my GS went together, my parents met us down there.  It was a combined contribution type of thing.  DH & I paid for the rental home for the week, as well as the rental car.  We paid for the majority of our meals, including Thanksgiving dinner.  The kids paid for their own airline tickets and park tickets.  We did get the park tickets at a drastically reduced price because SIL is military and they had a special.  Had we paid full price for park tickets, DH and I would have picked up most of the cost, because they are outrageously priced.  Kids paid for their own momentos and we surprised everyone by paying for the Linehopper passes to Universal (the lines were crazy, so it was worth the extra cost).  

Our kids usually ask every year what we are going to do for vacation together and it always makes me smile.  At their ages (21 & 25) I am just thrilled that they still enjoy traveling with us!!    

chasingrandbaby
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM

My adult children all live by me. When they have a family it would be harder to pay for all of their family to visit, so I would just go to them. I have the opposite problem, my mother has lived in another state for 33 years, so I pay for her to come here as she would never be able to afford it on a fixed income. With family you have to do what u can to see them when they dont live close by. Enjoy your visits

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM
We do. Our dd went last year to St Thomas. Also her boyfriend and dd went to Vegas with us. We paid for the suite and food. Boyfriend paid his ticket and we paid for dd's. It was for DH's 50th and DD's 21st Birthdays. Took her to FL a couple of years ago also. We don't disown our adult children at 18 and say they are no longer welcome on vacation. I know people that would not pay for adult children at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM

My kids are grown, 19, and 22. One is in college, not working. The other just dropped out of college and is looking for work. The way I see it, our trips are pretty frugal. We rent a place that would cost the same with or without the kids, buy groceries and that's it other than gas. So yes, we pay for family trips and are happy they still want to come with us.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Yes we pay for oldest who lives in another state to vist over the holidays,
Like yours their career jobs don't pay much :(
So for TG & Xmas we did & will again :)

Esmrlda
by Esme on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Yeas we pay for their share of vacation when we Invite them. That is a given. I would pay for her to come home for the holidays if I had to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I don't, but I see nothing wrong with your doing this. It works for you and your family. :) 

Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I haven't taken a vacation in years because I can't afford it.

campingmomof4
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I have 4 adult kids.  I have paid for both my sons(oldest family of 4) airplane tickets to come visit us.  Both boys are in the army and don't live close to us.   They both have also paid to come home too.   It just depends on if they have the money and if we have the money at the time.  Some years are better for us then others. 

"One kind word can warm three winter months."
-  Japanese proverb

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)