Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Speaking of portable heaters (space heaters)

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 13 Replies

I bought a small portable heater to use as a back up, but something I wonder about is will it damage the flooring that it sits on? Do you know if they should be placed on something to keep this from happening? Or are they made to be set on the floor so won't harm it?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nana9106
by Darlene on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM
I have never seen one harm the flooring. I am sure it could, depending on what type of flooring you have maybe you could set it up on a table or step stool
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM

We have carpet. I wonder about getting some kind of material such as they have under wood burning stoves- there used to be like a square metal piece. But surely people who plug in their space heaters don't go to so much trouble.

Quoting nana9106:

I have never seen one harm the flooring. I am sure it could, depending on what type of flooring you have maybe you could set it up on a table or step stool

jules8289
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I have one in my computer room. It sits on top of a big hard cover book.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

LOL! Yet another use for all of those books I have sitting around. :)

Quoting jules8289:

I have one in my computer room. It sits on top of a big hard cover book.

Shellness
by Michell on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Is it a ceramic? They are made to set on the floor. It may be dangerous to put something under it.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Yes it is, I think anyway. Thanks, I didn't know this about them.

Quoting Shellness:

Is it a ceramic? They are made to set on the floor. It may be dangerous to put something under it.

Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I bought a small ceremic heater a while back.  It took the chill off and I was able to put my hand on the outside when it was going full blast and not get burned.  Mine just sat on the carpet.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Oh good, this is encouraging then. Maybe I am worried for nothing. :)

Quoting Why123:

I bought a small ceremic heater a while back.  It took the chill off and I was able to put my hand on the outside when it was going full blast and not get burned.  Mine just sat on the carpet.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:46 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I don't know,
Have you figured it out yet ?

WillTimsmom
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Did the directions that came with the heater say what surfaces it can be placed on?  My son has a ceramic heater in his room and he puts it on his desk at night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)