Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Eat at Burger King?

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 41 Replies

Burger King Finds Horse Meat in Some of Its 'Beef' Burgers

Posted by Lindsay Mannering

burgerThe news that over 10 million burgers were recalled due to the possibility they contained horse meat just got a little hairier. While it's only affecting our friends across the pond -- supposedly we're eating strictly horse-free burgers stateside -- it's nevertheless disheartening to hear that Burger King, a venerable fast food joint many of us love, discovered some horse-tainted meat at one of their processing plants.

They tested for horse DNA (equine DNA, if you're fancy like that) at some of their local restaurants and the results came back negative -- it was only at their processing plant where the tainted meat was discovered.

Apparently, the vendor they used for their U.K. sourced beef was surreptitiously receiving meat from a Polish plant that supplemented their patties with horse meat. One out of every 27 patties from that Polish plant was, wait for it, 29 percent horse meat.

Granted, horse meat isn't dangerous nor especially unhealthy -- it's just, when you eat a burger, you expect it to be all cow with perhaps a rogue rubber glove or human finger inside, but never horse. It's not a food safety issue, it's more of a food tasty-like-horsey issue.

But hey, think of the bright side. Had Burger King found equine meat burgers in their restaurants, they could've served up some sliders called horse d'oeuvres.

Ba dum, ching!

What are your thoughts on this horse meat scandal?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Holly.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM
No, BK is disgusting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosebud727
by Rose on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM

No, I don't eat at burger places as a rule.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Well, it doesn't seem right that if they thought they were buying beef that they'd get horse.

nana9106
by Darlene on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Ewwwww.....I won't be eating there anymore
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I like Burger King although I only eat there very rarely.  Horse meat may be aesthetically displeasing but I imagine that if they hadn't checked nobody would have noticed.  Meat is meat and it basically all tastes the same.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I do not eat at fast food places like Burger King anymore. Haven't in years.

U.S. fast food in other countries truly is another beast. ha! They have different rules and different clientele and cater to the tastes there as they do here. If they said they were serving beef and did that then it is wrong regardless of what country you're in. 

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I don't know what horse tastes like, but I've had venison and it does have a different taste. I've had buffalo, and it just tastes like beef.

Quoting Why123:

I like Burger King although I only eat there very rarely.  Horse meat may be aesthetically displeasing but I imagine that if they hadn't checked nobody would have noticed.  Meat is meat and it basically all tastes the same.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

When I was in university, I ate at Burger King once a week. It was on my rotation of places that I ate because it was in walking distance of the campus.

Quoting Why123:

Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

If it was totally horsemeat people might have noticed.  It was 29% and not in every patty.  In Korea they eat puppy.  I wouldn't want to do that at all.

Jers.
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

If I do take-out burgers, it's only at 5 Guys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)