Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Burger King Finds Horse Meat in Some of Its 'Beef' Burgers

Posted by Lindsay Mannering

burgerThe news that over 10 million burgers were recalled due to the possibility they contained horse meat just got a little hairier. While it's only affecting our friends across the pond -- supposedly we're eating strictly horse-free burgers stateside -- it's nevertheless disheartening to hear that Burger King, a venerable fast food joint many of us love, discovered some horse-tainted meat at one of their processing plants.

They tested for horse DNA (equine DNA, if you're fancy like that) at some of their local restaurants and the results came back negative -- it was only at their processing plant where the tainted meat was discovered.

Apparently, the vendor they used for their U.K. sourced beef was surreptitiously receiving meat from a Polish plant that supplemented their patties with horse meat. One out of every 27 patties from that Polish plant was, wait for it, 29 percent horse meat.

Granted, horse meat isn't dangerous nor especially unhealthy -- it's just, when you eat a burger, you expect it to be all cow with perhaps a rogue rubber glove or human finger inside, but never horse. It's not a food safety issue, it's more of a food tasty-like-horsey issue.

But hey, think of the bright side. Had Burger King found equine meat burgers in their restaurants, they could've served up some sliders called horse d'oeuvres.

Ba dum, ching!

What are your thoughts on this horse meat scandal?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Replies (41-41):
gr8d8n3mom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM

The mom to mom group 1st page 5th response. (she sees no problem with it) I know to each their own.. but well.. (shudder)

Quoting jules8289:

Thats fine. Where are you going to re-post it? Just curious.

Quoting gr8d8n3mom:

May I copy and paste your reply to another forum on this exact subject? One person said she saw no problem, You said it prefectly.

Quoting jules8289:

It is illegal to process horse meat for human consumption in the U.S.  In and for other countries it is perfectly acceptable to do so. Other countries do no look at food the same as people in the U.S. do as far as what is taboo to eat. All beef is not considered equal. Deer, cow, bison, antelope and other beef sources do taste differently. Fat content and what the animal eats as a regular diet makes the meat taste accordingly. The same for pork and fowl. But you can buy canned horse meat to feed to your dog or other animals in the U.S. We let our dog eat it during the winter months. And no I don't eat BK. Ewwww.

Darn. I googled about horse meat in this country and saw where Obama signed a bill in 2011 saying it's ok to process for humans to eat it in this country. Why does that not surprise me. Bet he wouldn't eat it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN