Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

We don't tell oursevles enough that we did a good job.

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 16 Replies

Is there something that as a mom you have done that you are really proud of? I have 2 dd, one is almost 20 and we have been through a lot and now can talk about ANYTHING. It is not easy for either of us, but some how we get through it.  Recently she met a guy she really likes and when he finally told her he liked her too she was so happy, I was too. It has been awhile since her last bf and that was really an ugly situation. Anyway seems this new guy is looking for one thing only. To be friends with beneifits. Now I know from piog that that is a hot topic.  Any way, for her it is something she is NOT interested in doing.  If she is going to have sex with some one it will have meaning and at some level some commitment.  This guy doesn't want to hurt her so now they are just friends and "he acts like nothing every happened". But the point of this is, she told me about it, and I know it was not easy for her to do.  I am so proud of her and myself for all those years of talking to her and getting her to understand things, and now I am seeing what a wonderful person she is becoming and that I had my hand in it! So good job to me! What about you guys? What are you proud of in your parenting?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gmadiane
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I am proud of all of my kids but my daughters are so loving and giving, they dont judge and are always there to help anyone who needs it

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this

And sobow down we persevere.  He is our youngest who is now 27.  He came to live with us when he was an angry,scared and defiant 12 year old and was the cutest little red-headed kid you could imagine.  He came into our home by way of the Casey Family foster care program having come to them from the state foster care program.  One of four siblings, the other 3 all having been taken in by family members, he was defiant and quite positive he was quite positive that we would soon abandon him like all those before us.  We were just as positive that with patience and love, we could and would win him over.  Let me tell you, initially it took more patience that I thought I had.  He lied, he bullied, he rebelled at every step of the way and a lot of my grey hair I owe to him.  He was bright, but unwilling to put forth any effort  He was jealous of our birth son and daughter though they were both young adults and not living with us.  At age 18 though still in high school he decided to go live with his birth father and though we felt that was a mistake, we had no choice but to wish him luck.  We could only hope that all would go well for him.  Within two months we got a phone call from him pleading to come back "home".  Things had not gone well and it was unbearable.  And so home he came and reenrolled in school and all has been well since.  But the stories I could tell about the first three years he lived with us.  He is now an amazing young man, a career army man, a husband and a father of a beautiful two year old girl, my fifth granddaughter.  So, yes, I say good job to me for having the patience and love to raise a confident, giving and respectful young man.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

It is always so rewarding to see your children succeed.  Both of my DDs presented problems in very different ways.  But I must say - my oldest was the biggest challenge which I faced alone. It got to a point I feared for the safety of myself and my youngest child.  She rebelled and acted out to an extent that lands most in jail.  The methods and help we received may not have been the best choices, but I gave it my all.  By the time she was 22 - she finally understood.  A teenager at risk and acting out in horrible ways has become the most respectable young lady, a fabulous mother, and a daughter I can trust with anything.  I now truly believe in miracles.

sweetnana1964
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM

thank you for sharing this awesome story :)

Quoting mac1940:

And sobow down we persevere.  He is our youngest who is now 27.  He came to live with us when he was an angry,scared and defiant 12 year old and was the cutest little red-headed kid you could imagine.  He came into our home by way of the Casey Family foster care program having come to them from the state foster care program.  One of four siblings, the other 3 all having been taken in by family members, he was defiant and quite positive he was quite positive that we would soon abandon him like all those before us.  We were just as positive that with patience and love, we could and would win him over.  Let me tell you, initially it took more patience that I thought I had.  He lied, he bullied, he rebelled at every step of the way and a lot of my grey hair I owe to him.  He was bright, but unwilling to put forth any effort  He was jealous of our birth son and daughter though they were both young adults and not living with us.  At age 18 though still in high school he decided to go live with his birth father and though we felt that was a mistake, we had no choice but to wish him luck.  We could only hope that all would go well for him.  Within two months we got a phone call from him pleading to come back "home".  Things had not gone well and it was unbearable.  And so home he came and reenrolled in school and all has been well since.  But the stories I could tell about the first three years he lived with us.  He is now an amazing young man, a career army man, a husband and a father of a beautiful two year old girl, my fifth granddaughter.  So, yes, I say good job to me for having the patience and love to raise a confident, giving and respectful young man.

witch_e_woman
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM

yup.... I am.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Rough times a bit with one of mine but we all survived & he is doing well,
High fives to us all :)

GaleJ
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I am gratified, grateful, and proud to see my son standing at the edge of adulthood. He's twenty-two, and is doing a good job of planning his future. He has a decent job as an EMT and while continuing to work he starts his Medic class to raise his certification to full Paramedic tomorrow. Then he plans to get the few credits he needs to finish his bachelor's in Emergency Management and hopes to become a CCN, Critical Care Nurse. 

He has a lovely girlfriend, she starts class with him on Tuesday and they often work a shift together, and they're very sweet with each other. 

He is a bright, funny, compassionate mensch...I like where he's going, who he's becoming as an adult, and the minefield of adolescence seems like a long time ago, blessed be!

nana9106
by Darlene on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I am really proud that we all survived the teenage years....there was a point and time when I wondered if we would. Lots of gray hair later, my kids are healthy, happy adults/parents.....seems like I did something right :-)

tiredmama42
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Absolutely!   After all the years of struggling even as a single mom.. the fights the battles with a teen age girl and the drama.  Which at times I wondered if I was doing the right things, making the right choices, being too hard or soft with her.  Now in her 2nd year of college just got accepted to a Univeristy she has been really wanting to go to... and the first call is to mom, the tour she wants mom there.. I couldnt be prouder of the beautiful, smart, amazing young lady that I have been honored to call my daughter.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

We may not always see it while we are struggling with parenting. I love it when my kids slip me little compliments off and on throughout the year when I am not really expecting it! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)