Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

my daughter is moving to new york help

Posted by   + Show Post

my daughter told me she is moving to new york , she has a little boy that is 2. i also have another daughter that was married 3 months before this daughter found out she was pregnant. .my life changed so fast i didn't know what i was supose to do with  my time i cried all the time i had the blues so bad. about a year ago i finaly came to terms that my girls had left the nest some days it's still hard.i have 3 daughters and 4 grandchildren and a husband they are my world  i see them several times a week. my daughters boyfriend is from newyork and they have been talking about moving there today she told me they are definatly going, i do respect there desecion(however u spell it)  they feel like their son will have a better life both already have jobs lined up that pay good and have a house waiting on them. i know i am not the only mom to have a child move 17 hours away but i feel like part of my world is being ripped away from me . i do not drive on the interstate  and have never been on a plaine before.guess i will be flying soon. has anyone had a child that moved  so far away how do u accept this change? any advise will be wonderful thank you

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Replies (11-18):
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I remember when hubby and I were first married and headed to live and work in Alaska, my MIL said she wished she had a 40 acre plot of ground and she would live in the middle and each of her 4 kids would live around her and I thought how silly I thought the idea was.  Well, I only need 30 acres because now that I have 2 sons each about 3000 miles away and a daughter 6 hours away, I  know she felt.  It was hard to see them go but with communication being what it is today, it is easy to keep in touch - facebook, phone calls etc.  I do miss them terribly sometimes but knowing they are happy, healthy and doing well is a comfort.  You may even find you like flying and getting to see a different part of the country as you go to visit them.  Keep busy with things you enjoy doing and you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well you will adjust.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I don't have one that is far away.  I know it has to be so hard and I'm sure you will cry and probably already have!!  lol  I think it will get easier and hopefully you'll be able to see them often.  In the meantime....come vent to all of us!!  We're good listeners!!  :)

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Aww, I'm sorry.  I'm glad to hear they already have jobs.  It will be hard for sure but I hope you are able to visit frequently.

(((hugs)))

naynay76
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:56 PM

thank you all for your advise and words of incouragment  i think it will be a couple of months before they go so i am going to spend as much time with them as i can and keep my grandson every day lol and i am sure we will be on skype alot

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Jamestown is not that far from me...I used tolive there when  my oldest two were little.

Quoting naynay76:

thank you all for your advise to answer some questions she is moving to jamestown ny and i live northwest georgia

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

lovegrandbaby
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I live near Syracuse, NY which is about 3-4 hrs from Jamestown.  Just remember to visit in summer or fall - definately not winter so so for spring - it can be pretty wet/rainy.  I remember on year we had snow on Mother's day.

suesues
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I live in new york great place to work good pay but expensive otherwise dont know what guy does but hopefully all will work out can you take a train in to penn station its a nice place to visit and what part of ny are they headed for  sorry just read all reply I take back all I said I no nothing about james town and so far from city   good luck

terri-553
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Sometimes,life makes our children move away,At ,least they have jobs/place to move to right??If,you need to fly go visit enjoy that visit,And maybe holidays when everyone is togther all will be well.All,6 of mine live here in town,But,of course at some point one/two moved away came back w/more.It will be okay,it just takes time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN