Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Have You or Anyone You Know Ever Won a Lottery of Any Value?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

Couple Wins Lottery Twice in One Weekend & Immediately Starts Worrying About Bad Luck

Posted by Lindsay Mannering

lotto ticketsWhen Steve Weaver scratched off the $20 lottery ticket he bought at T. Ricks in central Arkansas, he was shocked to see that he had won one million dollars. In fact, he thought there might be something wrong, and he and his wife Terri checked the ticket "a hundred times." After confirming that Steve had, evidently, hit the jackpot, the Weavers rode the luck wave and decided that Terri should also play the lotto, so she bought a $10 ticket and, well, this husband-wife duo won the lottery twice in one weekend.

Terri won $50,000, bringing their two-day total to $1,050,000.

Lucky. Bastards. Thing is, though, they weren't initially excited about it. They were scared ... and actually afraid to claim their winnings.

Steve told Fox News:

I just couldn't believe it. It's not possible. I thought we were going to have to go do a lie detector test. And put our hand on the bible. It's unbelievable. It's just unbelievable.

Dude, I'm with you, Steve. If my husband and I both won the lottery, separately, within 48-hours, I'd be terrified. I'd be convinced that an asteroid was heading for our house, that the Earth was going to open up and swallow me whole, or that an airplane would release the frozen contents of its bathroom over my home and the freezing pile of shit would come crashing through my roof, into my living room.

Because that's happened before, and can happen again.

Luck is a freaky thing and I completely understand why Steve and Terri would be weirded out. As luck would continue to have it for them, nothing was wrong with their tickets and they're now $1.05 million richer. They plan to keep working, invest some of the money, and carry on buying lottery tickets.

After all, diligence is the mother of good luck.

How would you feel if this happened to you?

Have you or anyone you know ever won a lottery of an value?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I had a friend who won $10,000 in a Readers Digest promotion.  Another friend who won $150,000. playing Lotto.   As for the lottery, I don't think I know anyone who has won big big money.  And certainly I have not won more than just a pittance, but then, of course, I think you have to buy tickets to win and I only occasionally buy a lottery ticket.

Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM

My brother won $10,000 on a $20 scratch off ticket.  I have never won more than $100.  If I won a large amount I would go into hiding and get a lawyer to claim it.  I am a single older female and they like to make a media circus out of the winners.  The last thing I want is all of the wackos in the country wanting me to give them money.

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I've known three. My parents renters won a million. My parents friends won I think it was a hundred thousand and then bad luck struck and then a man who did business with a company I worked for won 8 million. He told me his wife had been carrying the ticket with her for a few months before she had it checked while at the grocery store. Crazy!

Oh! Our neighbor won a hundred thousand off a scratcher. It still doesn't seem worth it to me to play though. I HATE wasting money.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I don't.  I wish I could say well yes I do and it's ME!!  LOL  :)

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:17 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Have never known anyone to win anything big,
Neither have we .. I wish & hope one day soon :)

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I would also wonder about massive bad luck to follow.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Remember the Irish Sweep Stakes?  My girlfriends aunt and uncle, whom I knew, won $350,00 in the 1970's which was a huge amount of money back then for a very working class family.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

My friend won $1000 on a scratch off if you call that value. 

I gave my girls tickets years ago at Christmas and on a scratch off they won $500, the top value on that one.  Made them deposit that money in the bank, lol.  They spent the other scratch off money they won. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)