Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My son wants to take a trip

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM
  • 30 Replies

to Montreal, Canda for a weekend in April with his friends. He's 19 and in college. He's a good kid and so are his friends but  I'm a little hestitant about him going because this is his first trip outside of the U.S. He has gone away with his friends last year for a weekend but that was in the next state over from us. My main problem isn't about my son going with his friends. I pretty sure he could take care of himself. He's pretty responsible. But my husband wants to go with them. He says, he wants to go and keep an eye out for them.It would make me feel less anxious about them being there alone. My sons all for it, he wants my husband to go. But my son doesn't want me to go with my husband. And my husband doesn't want me to go either. It might seem a little selfish that I want to go too because they want a boys weekend.  But I can't help from feeling hurt that they don't want me there. It's me and my husband's 20th Anniversary next month and I would like to celebrate it by going away some where too. Should I just let them go and stay home by myself or should I try to convinve them that I'd like to get away too and promise not to get in the way of my son and his friends so they can have a good time. 

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Aww, I'm sorry it hurts your feelings.  It's probably how my dh feels every time my dd and I take a vacation together ;)  I would let him go but tell him he needs to take you somewhere soon.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM

BTW, cute puppy in your avatar.  What kind is it?

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Probably just let them go.  Maybe you and a friend can have a girls weekend.  Even if it's here....going to dinner and movies etc...

.Holly.
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I agree, let them have this boys trip and then the two of you should plan something for your anniversary when he returns. :)

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM
I would let the guys go. I have had multiple trips with my girls and friends. No dh on the trips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Canada?  If you said Mexico I'd be concerned.  He's 19.  He's in college.  I personally don't even know why your husband is going, to be honest, but that's just me.  but if your husband is going to go anyway, I'd say remind him of your anniversary and then, while he's away, take that time to plan a nice something for the two of you to celebrate your anniversary!  And if he complains about any of it, just remind him he is the one who decided to go with your son and leave you behind!  lol.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Not sure why your husband wants to tag along with some young college kids, but if the guys are ok with it, I would say fine, go.  He does owe you some time  for your anniversary, though. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:31 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Sorry it has hurt your feelings .. but it does sound great for your son & DH,
He will  be able to keep an eye on him yet have that guys weekend .
Let us know how it al goes :)

shamaz
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Part of me just feels like telling  them to go and have their weekend together and I can enjoy some peace and quiet lol. They just started making their plans the other day, so nothing is official yet. But what bothers me also iswhen they were making their plans,my husband atomatically said, lets have Mom go too. When my son heard that, he's like no way, I don't want my Mom coming away to Montreal with us. Then they started teasing my husband about being whipped and I'm the Old Ball in Chain. My husband didn't defend me, He just went right along with them,when I got upset about not going with them. I don't understand why my husband wants to go with a bunch of college kids anyway.  What'she gonna do go to clubs with them,while they meet girlsand drink.  I suggested that my husband and I would get our own room and go our seperate ways from the kids WE deserve some time away too.. But right now my husband is being so stubborn about this.  I'm glad that my husband and son are close but for him to choose to go away with a bunch of college kids instead of me hurts. And if he  spends money on this trip,we won't have money to go away. Thank you for listening and I'll keep you posted.

shamaz
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Quoting jabs54:

BTW, cute puppy in your avatar.  What kind is it?

Thanks,his name is Jack and he's a mixed terrier. That'sactually an old picture.He's 12 years old now and he's still getting around pretty good:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)