Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Guinea pig

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 15 Replies

In our town there is a clinic that tests drugs, some of the pay is $50.00 on up to $5,000.00.  I wanted to, but I take OTC stomach medication for GERD and always get rejected.  I think it would be a great way to make a little extra cash.  They test medication that is already on the market, so the risk is really low.  Any one else ever take part in testing?  Especially in this economy.

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovegrandbaby
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I have never taken part - I have applied a few times, but never called.

EireLass
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Years ago, when I worked at the military research & development center, I was a taste tester for food. No pay, they just wanted people to take a few minutes off their work day to do it.

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I doubt they are testing drugs already on the market, because if the drugs were, the drug companies would have thousands of FREE guinea pigs.  And they DO this --it's called postmarketing surveillance.   As for the risk being really low...have you ever heard of Thalidomide, DES, Baycol, Vioxx, Fen-phen, Propulsid, Zelnorm, to name ONLY a few???  These were drugs ON THE MARKET for a significant amount of time, before they decided "too many" people had died or suffered serious side effects.

I would not be a guinea pig unless I was LITERALLY on death's door, and the drug was the ONLY chance.  It CERTAINLY would not be something I would do for money.  You can't take it with you.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Sunday at 11:12 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest ds did a long time ago,
It was worth the money :)

caro100
by Carol on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Bryles, tests food for manufacturers, I am rejected for that too.  They want young parents with children below 10 years.  Sigh!!!

Quoting EireLass:

Years ago, when I worked at the military research & development center, I was a taste tester for food. No pay, they just wanted people to take a few minutes off their work day to do it.

caro100
by Carol on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:38 AM

I didn't say no risk, but low risk.  Anyway, I would say you are in the majority of opinion.  I just know that participating is getting more popular, due to the job market and unemployment. 

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I doubt they are testing drugs already on the market, because if the drugs were, the drug companies would have thousands of FREE guinea pigs.  And they DO this --it's called postmarketing surveillance.   As for the risk being really low...have you ever heard of Thalidomide, DES, Baycol, Vioxx, Fen-phen, Propulsid, Zelnorm, to name ONLY a few???  These were drugs ON THE MARKET for a significant amount of time, before they decided "too many" people had died or suffered serious side effects.

I would not be a guinea pig unless I was LITERALLY on death's door, and the drug was the ONLY chance.  It CERTAINLY would not be something I would do for money.  You can't take it with you.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I never have.

It's always made me a little nervous. Money isn't everything....

nana9106
by Darlene on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I have considered it...years ago. But never did it. Good luck to you I hope it helps you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM

No, I wouldn't do it.  I had a friend who's husband thought it would be a great way to make cash and the side effects were so horrible he had to stop and they got VERY angry with him.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:38 AM

A friend of mine who is pretty savvy about such things said never ever be a guinea pig on drugs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)