Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shopping with son...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM
  • 13 Replies

Our son just bought  a house and I am giving him my leather couch and love seat because we aren't using it right now, however he needs a bedroom suit and coffee table, some end tables.....   They are leaving the kitchen table in the house, it's a cute wooden one that's in nice shape plus all appliances (he got really lucky on that one).  He really doesn't want to spend a fortune on things and he knows that I can take apart and refinish just about anything he finds and make it his own HOWEVER I can't believe how expensive the furniture was priced at the Thrift stores today!  The one thing he want's to buy NEW is a mattress so he would like to use most of his furniture cost's on that, I was just amazed!  I wish it was yard sale season here, I could find him something I'm sure.   We are watching Craigslist...kind of hoping we wouldn't need to go that route but sometimes there are things that you just can't pass up, or at least check into.  We have used it to sell a few things plus we found our home on it!!    

I guess next Saturday will be another day out and about....  It looks like they are going to move settlement up to the end of Feb rather than mid March since everything is ready to go.  He has the essentials to start because he can take the bed he has now until he finds one, the poor kid has a twin, however there is a trundle that pops up to make it into a full size bed. He's going to put that in his guest room anyway, so it has to be moved anyway. 

Thanks for letting me babble :)

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lovemyshadows
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

When my son moved into his house I was allowed to help a little with some of the decorating.  We also had to buy a dining room table and chairs. Thrift stores aren't like they used to be.  We ended up buying new.

jules8289
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

We also don't usually buy new furniture either. Depends what it is. Mattress set definetly new. Bought a brand new couch and WOW! Expensive! But everything else if it's in good shape and/or you can re-do it go for it. Furniture is ridiculously priced! Sometimes we'll go to Good Will, Salvation Army or our favorite....yard and garage sales! A lot of our furniture comes from flea markets and antique stores too.

Tameez
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I hardly ever buy new.   I would rather buy vintage and clean it up or make it my own.   I like to think I could get a job on HGTV however they would just laugh at my work but I have fun learning and my daughter and I have fun doing it.  

I'm having an issue my flat screen tv right now.....  I have seen where people make a wooden frame around it and put it on the wall.  My husband isn't liking that idea though! I may have to give in with that idea!!   

We went to the Salvation Army on our side of the river today, they don't carry a wide array of furniture at ours.  Goodwill doesn't have any.  I CAN'T WAIT TILL YARD SALES/GARAGE SALE SEASON :)

Joel won't let me help decorate per say.....  but he likes the old look mixed with some modern.  Life the brown leather couches are not new, but look new.  However we have been saving wine corks and beer bottle caps and I found some great idea's on Pinterest and we are hoping to make some really cook peices.  He loves the vintage tools, so I would like to get him some of those to work into his decor.  I found a great idea to use an old rake (the kind with that is metal and is straight)...  You take the handle off, hang it on the wall with the teeth out and then you can hang your wine glasses from it.  So cool :)

Trust me...  I won't get a key to this house!!!    LOL !!!

Quoting jules8289:

We also don't usually buy new furniture either. Depends what it is. Mattress set definetly new. Bought a brand new couch and WOW! Expensive! But everything else if it's in good shape and/or you can re-do it go for it. Furniture is ridiculously priced! Sometimes we'll go to Good Will, Salvation Army or our favorite....yard and garage sales! A lot of our furniture comes from flea markets and antique stores too.

jules8289
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this

We like to mix old with new too. Making a wooden frame for your tv sounds cool. It can be done. Go to an architectural artifacts shop and find some old ginger bread or trim work of some sort. You'll have to get it mitered to fit. Makes me think of Steampunked pieces. If you like all that stuff you'd love my computer room. A friend gave us some very old barn siding. It's old, worn and the red paint is very faded and dark and DH cut it and completely redid all the walls with it. Throw in some antiques and deep plush gray carpeting and it looks very cool in here! The wine glass holder sounds nice. I break mine too much. I always go out and get a box of cheapies at Libbey Glass in Toledo. All I have now for my wine is a coffee cup! lol Hope company doesn't drop over. Drinking wine will be a little crude for now. I would like a nice old wine rack though. DH and I make our own wine!

Tameez
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM

My sons room is going to become my dining room....   We are looking for a farm table w/benches because the room isn't that big.  I want one made of old barn wood.  The price's are so hefty though....  BUT I REALLLLLLY WANT ONE!

Quoting jules8289:

We like to mix old with new too. Making a wooden frame for your tv sounds cool. It can be done. Go to an architectural artifacts shop and find some old ginger bread or trim work of some sort. You'll have to get it mitered to fit. Makes me think of Steampunked pieces. If you like all that stuff you'd love my computer room. A friend gave us some very old barn siding. It's old, worn and the red paint is very faded and dark and DH cut it and completely redid all the walls with it. Throw in some antiques and deep plush gray carpeting and it looks very cool in here! The wine glass holder sounds nice. I break mine too much. I always go out and get a box of cheapies at Libbey Glass in Toledo. All I have now for my wine is a coffee cup! lol Hope company doesn't drop over. Drinking wine will be a little crude for now. I would like a nice old wine rack though. DH and I make our own wine!

jules8289
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM

We figure the siding our friend gave us would have cost us around $2,000 if we had to buy it. Thank God for good friends. Find a demolitions company. Maybe they could help you.

Tameez
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Some of my ideas for my son...he likes them and they would be fun to do as well....

He is a big wine drinker...         OR...

or

We bought him a wine fridge for Christmas and if he has a closet, this would be cool to convert to a wine storage for him..

Very cool wall art...

Shelving ideas...

In guy colors of course

Minus the frilly stuff

so easy to do...

AND THIS IS WHAT I WOULD LIKE FOR MY FLAT SCREEN :)

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Very nice!  I am sure he will love his place.  You picked out some really cool ideas.  I really like pinterest and houzz.   It is amazing how information and idea exchange has taken off with the internet.  My mother would have loved it.  Have fun!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Hugs on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi Tammie,
How fun it sounds like you had,
Nice you two were able to do that.
All in good time & he will have what he wants :)

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Too bad you can't find furniture.  Love the ideas you posted though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)