Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Counseling/ therapist / life coach

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:15 AM
  • 20 Replies

So, I really don't think my paying this woman $70 a session is really worth it.  But I have already paid for the next session so I'll make my determination after that.

I think I get just as good advice right here!  And I'm not paying you ladies a dime!  lol.

My assignment for last night's session was to draft a "letter" to the WB so that when I feel it is time to have a sit-down and talk with her about issues, I'll have made good word choices, etc.  Well, I did a quick rough draft yesterday morning. The therapist read it and said, "This is good."  I was expecting to get more feedback on work choices, etc, but that didn't happen. 

I don't feel I need to pay someone $70 just to vent about my work situation! Plus the WB has actually been quite tolerable the past month or so.  lol.

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosebud727
by Rose on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM

We always like to hear what's going on at your work, especially me. So maybe you and WB are finally figuring out how to work around each other now?

I do have to ask a question since this therapist isn't, or maybe she did. Do you feel comfortable approaching WB and addressing your issues with her? Do you think she would listen if you had a one on one in the right circumstances?

Or is she so unapproachable, the only way you can communicate with her is by letter?

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I wrote the letter to get my thoughts out on paper, so that when I feel the time is right - and there may never be a "right" time - at least I know what I want to say and how best to communicate it.  Next session, on 2/25, the therapist and I will do "role play" so that I can say what I want to say outloud.  I don't intend to give this letter to the WB but hope to use it as a tool to keep my thoughts coherent and word choices appropriate - i.e., not argumentative, not defensive and not accepting blame.  Mostly issues about my memory (since to her it IS an issue) and communication.

With the WB, her moods are always fluctuating.  Who knows?  She might find something to yell at me about today.  I feel as if I'm waiting for the proverbial "other shoe to drop" whatever that means!  lol  I am acting the same way I have always acted - and feel she's the one who is being decent these days - but she is still "yelling" at the others at the office.

I would not feel comfortable addressing "problems" I had with anyone - that's just me.  I tend to acquiesce rather than be aggressive.  I am not sure HOW she would react if I sat down and had a one-on-one about my issues.  But my goal is to be prepared for that day, if and when it should ever happen.

Quoting rosebud727:

We always like to hear what's going on at your work, especially me. So maybe you and WB are finally figuring out how to work around each other now?

I do have to ask a question since this therapist isn't, or maybe she did. Do you feel comfortable approaching WB and addressing your issues with her? Do you think she would listen if you had a one on one in the right circumstances?

Or is she so unapproachable, the only way you can communicate with her is by letter?

nana9106
by Darlene on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:50 AM
3 moms liked this

We are always here for you. Thank goodness there is no charge here! We would all be broke LOL

sadiesdepot
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I have been in therapy off and on most of my life. Therapist have many different ways to help. If you don't feel she is helping you, maybe it's time to interview another therapist. The therapist I am seeing now is a bouncing board for me to talk and get things out of my brain before I go nuts and say things to family members that I would truly regret. I learned from one therapist to write in a note book. If there are things you dont want family to see put it in a locked box or rip out the pages and burn them. Believe me, when I say it can be very refreshing to say all those horrible things on paper then know when you meet that person again you can be civil and say more appropriate words. Your therapist sounds like she does cognative therapy. Where the two of you talk and come some sort of an agreement about what to do about what is bothering you. How to handle a situation better instead of walking up and cussing out the person or persons you are having problems with. That would be really bad and you would probably lose your job.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Some therapists mostly listen and that is not worth it to me. Some give you tools and suggestions which can be useful. You have to look at the background of each person to see what they will focus on.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I have never seen a therapist, so would have no idea of what to expect other than I would like specific suggestions as to what to do.  I guess you have to judge whether you are getting the help you were looking for.  I think venting here gives one lots of different perspectives which may be a help in figuring out things in yyour own mind.  And like you said, the price here is right.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM

If you don't feel like you're getting any more help from her than you do for venting I think you have your answer.  lol  You'll know more at your next visit I'm sure.  Good luck with it all and I hope she will continue on with this "even" way of behaving!!  The wb that is.  lol

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM
2 moms liked this

What? You didn't get our bill in the mail!?! haha!

good  I have had some counseling in the past and sometimes it didn't seem like I was getting much "help" but then it would sort of loop back around and I would see what I needed! It could just be that - wait and see. Otherwise stop seeing her and hang out with the girls!!!

caro100
by Carol on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Maybe the WB has been more tolerable, due to your sessions and you being able to reframe your reactions to her crap that she throws at you.  After all we can't change other people, we can just reframe our reactions to them.  $70.00 please.  LOL

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I have heard that talking to a friend is just as good as seeing a councelor.  I suppose in some cases it is true.  We had a horrible marriage councelor when we first got married.  Almost got a divorce over it, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN