Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your greatest fear?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 38 Replies

Just curious what your greatest fear is?

Mine is flying.  I hate, HaTe, HATE to fly....hate it...

But, I have worked on calming myself in flight by hiding earphones under my hair and cranking music so loud that it drowns out the take off sounds as we launch into the air.

One year I flew to Salt Lake City for a family funeral...all to realize how afraid I was to fly...In fact, on the flight back, our plane had to make a diverted landing in Lincoln, Nebraska.....and I got off the plane (this was before 9-11).. I figured I was close enough and could hitch hike home...but I smelled something burning when we were landing and I wasn't taking any chances.

The next time I flew, the Doctor prescribed me Valuum for my fear...I had never taken Valuum so I tried it a couple weeks before I was to fly to DC.  That one little pill didn't seem to do much, so I took another one....LOL...low and behold I was OUT, for a whole weekend...hahaha...  Needless to say, when it came time to board that plane, I downed a few shots of Tequilla, and boarded....drunk...lol

This past summer, I went to a House of Hope conference in Florida with the Director of the group home and the office manager.  The office manager is quite large and decided to have me sit BEHIND them on the flight so she wouldn't be embarrassed to sit next to anyone else and she sat next to the Director.  I flew sitting by myself all the way there, all the way back.  I was ticked that they wouldn't even think to ask before booking....but I survived.

Tomorrow, my husband and I fly to Florida to spend the rest of the week with my brother and his wife.  He booked the flights back in December and I just trusted him when he made the arrangements.

Well, he sounded panicked when he couldn't find my email to check me in but had already checked himself in.  "Why wouldn't you just send the itenerary to ONE email I thought?"  But, I remained calm as he found my info and got me checked in.  No biggy right?  WRONG!!!!!!  We aren't even sitting close to each other as he booked our flight on SOUTHWEST FRIGGIN AIRLINE!!!  Oh my gosh, as if I would know that they don't make arranged seating assignments.    I want to choke him I am so mad.  I'd rather pay Double for a plane ticket and have arranged seating where WE are sitting together than book the cheapest damn ticket where we are seperated.  someone shoot me now!!!!

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I fear ending up confined to a wheel chair and losing my freedom.

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Woa, that is a big thing to fear.  We can so easily take for granted our mobility to get around. 

Quoting Why123:

I fear ending up confined to a wheel chair and losing my freedom.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I'm sorry but I had to giggle.  You sound like me.  I first found out I was afraid to fly when I was about 19 and flew to see my brother in Portland Maine.  Only I accidentally got a ticket for Portland Oregon and didn't notice until the pilot said "we are now flying over the black hills of south dakota".  Anyhoo, I didn't fly again until a couple years ago.  My dd and I wanted to fly to Vegas really bad.  So I got some drugs (I don't remember which) from the doctor.  Took one at the airport and didn't feel a thing.  Called my brother (who is a pharmacist) and asked if I could take another.  He said sure.  It helped a little but it's kind of a family joke now that I have to be drugged to fly.  Oh, I forgot, I won a cruise in 1990 and we used it for our honeymoon.  For part of the trip they had me sitting in front of my husband.  I was silently, gently crying the whole time.  The guy sitting next to me laughed at me.

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Quoting jabs54:

I'm sorry but I had to giggle.  You sound like me.  I first found out I was afraid to fly when I was about 19 and flew to see my brother in Portland Maine.  Only I accidentally got a ticket for Portland Oregon and didn't notice until the pilot said "we are now flying over the black hills of south dakota".  Anyhoo, I didn't fly again until a couple years ago.  My dd and I wanted to fly to Vegas really bad.  So I got some drugs (I don't remember which) from the doctor.  Took one at the airport and didn't feel a thing.  Called my brother (who is a pharmacist) and asked if I could take another.  He said sure.  It helped a little but it's kind of a family joke now that I have to be drugged to fly.  Oh, I forgot, I won a cruise in 1990 and we used it for our honeymoon.  For part of the trip they had me sitting in front of my husband.  I was silently, gently crying the whole time.  The guy sitting next to me laughed at me.

Oh my gosh....I so needed to hear your story.  How crazy that you booked a flight to Portland Oregon.   I would have never flown again probably....lololol

My husband and I flew to Oregon two years ago...it was the first time I had flown with someone else and I cried when we were taking off.  My husband tried to console me and I just told him to leave me alone.

I am slowly calming myself down now.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

*breath*  You're ok, you're ok, you're ok,... *breath*

nana9106
by Darlene on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM

My biggest fear is losing one of my kids or grandkids...I don't think I could handle that kind of pain and sadness.

My biggest phobia is SNAKES!!!! I go into total panic mode...I can't run or breathe....just cry. I can't even look at a picture of a snake.

gmadiane
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM

drowning

jlsjjsmom
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:19 PM

My biggest fear is having one of my boys die before me. I'm a Christian and I do believe in eternal life. But IMO that would be the most painful thing to endure.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this

First off, Tracy, I LOVE to fly - ESPECIALLY the take offs and landings!  And if the ride gets bumpy - woo hoo!  lol.

What I fear most is when I die, someone's gonna find my naughty things. I guess at that point, I really won't care though, will I?   LMAO.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I have a fear of driving. My biggest fear is going completely deaf and/or blind. 

My two favorite things to do is to read ad listen to music.

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)