Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This really isn't about kids but...

Posted by   + Show Post

I posted in another group, it wasn't exactly about "grown" kids, so that is one reason why I didn't post here.

I used 2 "curse" words and the one word, I used the first letter with a few ***then the last letter or so, and I used the word hell. (I also re read all my responses to any of my replies and I didn't use any "curse" words in them. I was written to by the admin of the group, in a  polite way, asking me to put in my post when I have "bad language". 

I apologized, as I didn't feel I used bad language, The groups reason, is that sometimes small kids are on the adults lap when they are reading the posts, and it isn't a good example for the kids to read bad language. (ok I can understand this) but this type of group is for adults, so IMO kids shouldn't be on the adults lap, or reading over the adults shoulder to see the language. Also, I am a freaking adult, I don't need someone to "police" my language. Especially because I'm not one to cuss! IF I use Foul language, I'm really, really Really ticked off. and still I would use the First letter of the word and **with it.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but I just don't think that group is for me. I want to be able to post things, and if I want to say shit. say it, not say "bad language" and use the word crap!

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Replies (21-26):
gr8d8n3mom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

ok, again, I'm not one for Drama. but I will say this, I wasn't in a "public" forum I was in a sub forum. The group owner and the admin and I are working this out, and I have told the admin, I understand she was doing her job.(and no I wasn't cursing at someone)

Quoting sadiesdepot:

No. 8   Cursing is not allowed in public areas.

While CafeMom is a site for moms, moms often have their children around! In order to make CafeMom comfortable for everyone, please adhere to the following guidelines when posting content that may not be suitable for everyone:

According to the guidelines you were within your right to say curse words if you so chose as long as you are not cursing at someone.  Since this is "Cafemom" and not "Cafekids"  I would think children would not be up on their laps "reading" the computer. I thought this was suppose to be a place for Adults.  

I live in an Adult community because I didnt want to listen to a bunch of screaming kids. I would have thought that would apply here also. Since this forum is for Moms with Adult Kids. I think you are safe to cuss here if you want to. :)

gr8d8n3mom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM

8. Cursing is not allowed in public areas.

While CafeMom is a site for moms, moms often have their children around! In order to make CafeMom comfortable for everyone, please adhere to the following guidelines when posting content that may not be suitable for everyone:

Cursing and adult content are prohibited in public areas on CafeMom. The public areas include: avatars, screen names, thought bubbles, profile pages (text and images), journal post titles, post titles in public groups, group names, group descriptions, group avatars, and other similar places.There are cases where cursing or content will be so extreme that it will be removed.

Thank you, I had to look for this.and there was more to it, I'm glad I read it all. Like I said, the 3 of us in the other group are working it out(and it wasn't a public forum) it was a side forum post. Anyway, Maybe this will help others and some groups as well?? :)

Quoting sadiesdepot:

No. 8   Cursing is not allowed in public areas.

According to the guidelines you were within your right to say curse words if you so chose as long as you are not cursing at someone.  Since this is "Cafemom" and not "Cafekids"  I would think children would not be up on their laps "reading" the computer. I thought this was suppose to be a place for Adults.  

I live in an Adult community because I didnt want to listen to a bunch of screaming kids. I would have thought that would apply here also. Since this forum is for Moms with Adult Kids. I think you are safe to cuss here if you want to. :)

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM
You can swear in posts, but not in titles. I think it is stupid. This is an adult forum so I don't get it and think it is a dumb rule. If you are offended by cuss words get the hell off Cafemom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I did not grow up hearing curse words, nor does my children.  It use to drive my dd nuts when she was in high school the way the kids talked.  She use to look at them and say "I hope that's not the mouth you eat with".  They just gave her a blank stare.  I understand a lot of people think nothing of cursing but none of my friends and family talk that way.  Womans Day just ran an article from Katie Couric who is fed up with cursing, here's an excerpt... 

The casual use of bad language is a sign of the coarsening of our culture. The way we talk to each other is indicative of how we treat each other and how much we respect each other. Using better language is a small step toward creating kinder and gentler conversations—and over time, it could be a giant leap toward infusing our culture with some much-needed respect.

Read more:
Katie Couric on Cursing in Public - Katie Couric on Watching Our Language - Woman's Day

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Swearing in posts on this site doesn't bother me, and it sounds like it doesn't bother most women who use this group. 

gr8d8n3mom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I'm not a curse word user on a regular basis, only when angry and it's not bad. I grew up in Family restaurants,(with bars) so language was heard, BUT I always heard the men at the bars say to others, "hey watch your mouth, there are women present". I too get so upset to hear the younger generation using such foul language so easily.

Quoting jabs54:

I did not grow up hearing curse words, nor does my children.  It use to drive my dd nuts when she was in high school the way the kids talked.  She use to look at them and say "I hope that's not the mouth you eat with".  They just gave her a blank stare.  I understand a lot of people think nothing of cursing but none of my friends and family talk that way.  Womans Day just ran an article from Katie Couric who is fed up with cursing, here's an excerpt... 

The casual use of bad language is a sign of the coarsening of our culture. The way we talk to each other is indicative of how we treat each other and how much we respect each other. Using better language is a small step toward creating kinder and gentler conversations—and over time, it could be a giant leap toward infusing our culture with some much-needed respect.

Read more:
Katie Couric on Cursing in Public - Katie Couric on Watching Our Language - Woman's Day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)