Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

I had a discovery while making potato soup today

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 38 Replies

You know those immersion blenders that you put in the pot or bowl to mix the food?

Product Details

I have thought for some time that it would be cool to have one, but I've delayed buying it, not sure how often I'd use it.  Today I made potato soup and pulled out an old potato masher that belonged to my husband's grandmother.  I realized that I use it all the time, and I also realized that I don't need a machine to do the job, this little gadget does what I need to be done.

(This is close to the one I have and is estimated to be 100 years old)

This does the job, is easy to clean, only uses a little muscle power and not electricity.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I have an immersion blender, and I love, love, love it.  I use mine all the time.  Soups, sauces, drinks, salad dressings--it's great.  This is my 3rd one, in about 15 years.  The first two had plastic housings, and they eventually died from plunging them in boiling soup, sauce, or cooking down tomatoes.  This one is completely stainless steel.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I use my potato masher and or hand whisk all the time. I even have a old hand crank beater.lol  I don't know how old it is but it still works.  

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM

This is good to know. I won't rule out getting one. :)

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I have an immersion blender, and I love, love, love it.  I use mine all the time.  Soups, sauces, drinks, salad dressings--it's great.  This is my 3rd one, in about 15 years.  The first two had plastic housings, and they eventually died from plunging them in boiling soup, sauce, or cooking down tomatoes.  This one is completely stainless steel.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM

LOL! I also use a hand whisk. I think I still have my hand crank beater. I have a foley food mill that my grandma gave me-  I used it all the time when I was canning tomatoes and applesauce.

Quoting kuntrylady56:

I use my potato masher and or hand whisk all the time. I even have a old hand crank beater.lol  I don't know how old it is but it still works.  

hugss
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Wow!  Good for you!
How was the soup ?

KittyGram
by Becky on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I use a potato masher, too, but I'd LOVE to have an immersion blender.  One of these days......  I wouldn't use it for mashed potatoes, though - I hadn't even thought of wanting one for that reason.  I've been cooking lots of Indian food lately, and there's usually a sauce with those that could use an immersion blender.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I love my potato masher.  I like lumps in my potatoes when I make them.  lol  I also have an immersion blender but don't use it a lot.  They are nice to have though. 

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the lumps, too. :)

Quoting louannwilkins:

I love my potato masher.  I like lumps in my potatoes when I make them.  lol  I also have an immersion blender but don't use it a lot.  They are nice to have though. 

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I love Indian food, but I've never cooked it. I've been adding a little curry powder to dishes when I can.

Quoting KittyGram:

I use a potato masher, too, but I'd LOVE to have an immersion blender.  One of these days......  I wouldn't use it for mashed potatoes, though - I hadn't even thought of wanting one for that reason.  I've been cooking lots of Indian food lately, and there's usually a sauce with those that could use an immersion blender.

Bmat
by Barb on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

The soup was sooo good. But anything with bacon and cream has got to be good. 

Quoting hugss:

Wow!  Good for you!
How was the soup ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)