Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Questions about cooktop stoves

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM
  • 21 Replies

I'll be getting a new stove in a few days.  Thinking about the cooktop style.  If you have one what size burners do you have?  Do you wish you would have gotten something different?  I'm looking at one with the one burner with 3 sizes, a 6 in. one and two 8 in. ones.  The other one I'm looking at has the burner with 3 different sizes, two 6 in. burners, and a 10 in. burner.  My cookware has from 5 1/2 to 9 in bottom surfaces on them.  Also, are the tops of these types of stoves hard to keep clean? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
homeskoolmama
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:59 PM

My stove is a flat top with 2 small and 2 large burners. I have a special cleaner to clean the top. You have to be careful not to scratch it up and damage it.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I don't have one, but I would want one with four burners.  Also, I don't know for sure, but friends who have them tell me you use some special cleaner and that they tend to scratch easily, so some extra caution is needed.  Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I'm on my 2nd smooth top cook stove.  Sometimes it is a little hard to get the burned food off.  But nothing like having a regular stove to clean.  My cooktop is black.  My sil has one that is white and she says wishes she would have gotten black.  It has 5 burners.  2 with duel sizes and 1 warming burner in the back. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I miss my Amana big oven smooth-surface stove!  :o(  I was fortunate to take it with me when I had to let my house go into foreclosure (in 2006), and the apartment where we lived right after that for 2 years allowed me to bring it with me.  However, the apartment I've been in since 2008 won't let me put it in here, so it's in storage at my mom and dad's.  It wasn't the easiest to keep clean but because the entire surface was white, I made sure to keep it clean!  Digging up these pictures makes me want to figure out a way to bring it back. 

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM
We used to have a flat stove top with four burners. Sold it with out house and bought a house with stainless steel appliances... And a five burner gas stove. I HATE this stove! It is the biggest pain in the butt to clean.
I still use special cleaner for my gas stove as well. My next stove will be like the one you're describing. I too would buy the black top.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Maddie24
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess everyone has their own preferences.  As for me I do not like the smooth stove tops - at all.  I feel like I am cooking with a light bulb and the heating element is not a consistent temperature for cooking.  But that is just me.  I have a smooth top now and am having to re-learn how to cook on this surface since I moved in June.  Next year - I will get getting the gas extended to the kitchen and I will be getting a gas stove top.  Until then - I will continue to burn the pancakes!  LOL

Good luck on making a selection that works best for you and your cookware.  It is always fun to get a new appliance since we spend so much time in the kitchen.  Bon Appetit!

cherylam
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I have a glass cooktop... and not liking it, but it was here before I came.  It has a 10", a 8" , and 2 6".  We're redoing the kitchen this summer, ripping out the island and that darn cooktop is the first thing to go.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Sounds like you've gotten some good advice.  I don't have one like that.  Sorry 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Interesting you are getting yours this week,
We also will be getting our new *cooktop* only this week & I can't wait.
We have a two burner one now with a place to *grill*
Our new one will be just a basic cooktop w/ 5 burners :)

Why123
by Nancy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I don't have one but my mom and my 2 oldest daughters do.  They love it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)