Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Tell me how to use a cab...

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 23 Replies

I realize this may sound dumb to some but I've never flagged a cab.  I don't know the "rules" of cab riding.  My dd and I have decided to take a bus from Mdsn to Chicago.  We will take a cab to hotel and the zoo etc.  If someone flags a cab for me do I tip them?  At the hotel how do ask for a cab?  I assume I tip the cab driver?  How much?  Do they really take the loooong route to charge more money?   Help, this is stressful!!!

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shellness
by Michell on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I don't know much. The only time I've ever used a cab we had to call for one. They aren't a very big thing in Orlando. You couldnt hail one if you wanted to except at the airport.

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM

When you're downtown, you step out on the sidewalk, near the street, look for a cab, you see one approaching, and you raise your hand. If they have room and don't already have someone in the car, they'll stop for you. Don't be alarmed if they see you wave, and drive straight by. That means they have what's called a "fare", meaning a passenger. I usuallly tip a couple to three bucks. When you go inside, you don't have to tip, if asking how to get somewhere. Good luck, and have fun!

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I have only taken cabs localy (in my area) so I really couldn't tell you. Here you have to call one of the two cab companies and they pick you up and take you where you need to go and I rarely tip them for lots of reasons.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Quoting Mariagma3:

When you're downtown, you step out on the sidewalk, near the street, look for a cab, you see one approaching, and you raise your hand. If they have room and don't already have someone in the car, they'll stop for you. Don't be alarmed if they see you wave, and drive straight by. That means they have what's called a "fare", meaning a passenger. I usuallly tip a couple to three bucks. When you go inside, you don't have to tip, if asking how to get somewhere. Good luck, and have fun!

One time I was in Chicago and when we walked out of the train station a man was there and pointed us to a cab.  The person we were with tipped him.  I did not know we were suppose to do that.  If we are at the hotel can we ask them to call us a cab or do I just go outside and "wave" a cab? 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I'm so sorry Jeanine!!  I don't know.  Sounds like you're getting some advice though and I hope that helps you.  :)

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Quoting jabs54:

Quoting Mariagma3:

One time I was in Chicago and when we walked out of the train station a man was there and pointed us to a cab.  The person we were with tipped him.  I did not know we were suppose to do that.  If we are at the hotel can we ask them to call us a cab or do I just go outside and "wave" a cab? 

Either way is good!

KittyGram
by Becky on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this

You're going to be spending a fortune if you use cabs for all of your transportation......  Just sayin'.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Usually at a bus depot, a train station, an airport there are cabs standing by just outside the entrance.  At a hotel, the desk person will be glad to call a cab.  When you get the first cab, you can always ask the driver for a card or info on how to contact him/her for further use.   Usually you do tip the driver but I have never had anyone except a hotel clerk call one for me, so am not sure about the etiquette there.

nuts4scouts
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

You will be in downtown Chicago. You can't swing a cat without hitting a cab.

At the bus/train station, ask someone at the ticket counter where the cab stand is, or just go outside and wave down any cab you see.

At the hotel, you can ask the doorman to flag you a cab (if he does I suggest tipping him at least $1), or flag one down yourself. Going to the curb and waving, and yelling CAB! at passing cabs works well.

As for tipping - do you tip your hairdresser? Your waiter? Why on earth would you not tip your cab driver? These guys do not make a salary. Even minimum wage. They have to pay the cab companies for the right to use their name, and dispatch system. They are doing you a service. Just as with waiters, a tip of at least 10% is considered fair.

As Kitty mentioned, taking cabs everywhere is going to get expensive - FAST. Also, depending on where you are going, getting a cab back might be a bit of a hassle. At your hotel see if they have any information on the places you want to visit, and ask the concierge the best way to get to them.

If the places are downtown a cab might be the best way if it is to far to walk. For anything farther out, taking the train (CTA or Metra) would probably be the cheapest way. Again, your concerige should be able to get you the appropriate train/bus schedules.

Have fun!

Jers.
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Lots of good advice here.  You may also want to check your hotel for shuttles to the popular places - they may be available and are cheaper than a cab.  You can ask your hotel doorman to call you a cab and it's always nice to tip him a few bucks.  I also tip the guy at the airport who points me to a cab because they usually open the door for me.  I'm in NY and know my way around, so I usually tell the driver what route to take.  If they act like they don't understand, I get a little Jersey on them and they seem to recall their English.  If you don't know your way around, a simple "let's not take the scenic route please" will do.  You can also ask your concierge for recommendations for transport.  They will make sure you are taken care of well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)