Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG, why do kids think they know it all????

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM
  • 21 Replies

So, my dd 19 is coming home for a short winter break Wednesday-Sunday.  Her friend is driving them.  First of all Wednesday will be either snowy or rainy depending on the area.  They can't leave school until 3pm.  On a GOOD day it would take these 2 girls with not much driving experience and NO driving experience in Chicago, probably 7 1/2 hours to get here.  I say 8 or more on Wednesday.  They can drive 2 hours, spend the night with MIL in Indianapolis and start out early on Thursday when the weather will have improved and it would be daylight.  Dh can deal and see if he can reason with them.  Originally, dd was going to fly to see her boyfriend and that fell through now.  This other girl was going to drive the whole trip alone!!!!!

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:27 PM

At that age, kids don't always think things through yet. I hope they stay safe and you enjoy your visit.

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Quoting LadySaphira:

At that age, kids don't always think things through yet. I hope they stay safe and you enjoy your visit.

I hope they wise up quick.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:08 PM

They think we don't know what we're talking about.  lol  I was probably the same way.  lol  Hopefully they'll listen to your dh.  If not....we'll send up prayers for safe travels for them and good nerves for you!!!  Keep us posted.   :)

jabs54
by Jeanine on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh joy, trying to reason with someone who's brain isn't fully developed yet...

getting2old
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

my son once commanded that he was driving an hour away in an ice storm. OOOHHH no you're not! I always tell my kids, sometimes the weather changes your plans and ice and snow storms win!

I hope that she does alright, maybe her own parents will chime in

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM

When I was that age, I did know it all!  LMAO. 

NOT!  lol.  I think this is absolutely normal.  Kids are stretching their wings and want to see how fast and how far and how high they can fly.  They get so excited they don't see that brick wall they are about to BAMMMMM right into or the cliff they are about to slide down.  lol.  It's all a part of growing up.  And it's perfectly NORMAL for us, as parents, to worry about them every step of the way.  Heck, we've been sheltering them for the past 18 or 19 years and it's hard to just all of a sudden like - LET GO!  lol.

Have faith in your daughter, tell her you love her and tell her that the Parent's Manual they gave you at the hospital when she was born says you don't ever HAVE to stop worrying about her but you certainly CAN if you want to - use that next time she "misbehaves."   lol.

MamaSnaps
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I got in a car and drove from NY to LA in about 40 hours at that age. Would I want to see my daughter do it? HELL NO! But they are going to do it no matter what you say, think or feel, so the best you can do is support them, check in with them often and be prepared for a hotel bill if they get into nasty weather. 

sweetnana1964
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM

They just don't think at that age. We were the same way. they think they are invinsible. That is why I spent so much time praying for my kids when they became teenagers Lol

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

They don't think things through at that age, I know mine didn't/doesn't.  I hope they make it safely.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:32 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Hugs on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:05 AM

They are young ::sigh::
Let us know how the travel was & when they are safe & sound :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)