Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

UGGG! My Brother! **VENT**

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 24 Replies

Just bare with me...I'm just so frustrated!

Since my mom died in October my younger brother has been a real JERK! Don't get me wrong he was a jerk before that but now he has taken it to a whole new level.

A short bit of back info: Years ago when we were little, my parents bought some land, then later sold it but kept the mineral rights, for whatever reason the checks for that have always come in my moms name, and the checks have been averaging $100 per month. -- My dad inherited 10 acres of property (which he lives on) from his parents when they died. And just FYI my younger brother litterally has $$$MILLIONS$$$

My younger brother has decided that he is "entitled" to 1/3(3 kids) of 1/2(what would be moms) of EVERYTHING.  In his words, "house, land, money...everything"....where does he get off thinking that! I was reading through the Texas laws about the division of property when someone dies with out a will(unfortunately my mom did not have a will). First, the spouse gets everything unless there are children from a previous marriage, then the division IS 1/3 of 1/2. BUT, We are all the natural children of their marriage, so he is entitled to NOTHING! My dad had gotten some paperwork from the company that handles the royalities, that we kids need to sign so that the check can now come in my dads name...My brother refuses to sign them saying that he is NOT signing away his "rights". So my dad is very upset and needs the money, as he lives on a fixed income of $1000 per month. I just don't freaking get it! How in the hell does he figure that he has any rights to any of it. My parents did the best they could raising us, we always had all of the love, affection and moral support we have ever needed, as well as food and shelter. I  seriously don't get it! UGGGG I have never felt like my parents owed me anything, and never concidered any part of what is theirs to be mine. Why would I? Why does he think that way?

sorry for rambling...i just needed to get it out.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Probably you need to consult an attorney and have him explain to your brother how this law works.  When my dad died, he was eparated from but not divorced from mom.  My sister wrongly figured that she and I were thus entitled to everything.  I told her no way, that mom had worked for 40 years helping him accumulate what was there, so she was entitled to everything.  We finally wound up paying an attorney for a consult who set my sister straight.  Greed is always sad and it sounds like your brother is greedy.  Hope you can settle this and not cause a permanent rift in your family.

nybor48
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM

So sorry... this is a tough time for all, I know firsthand..  Thankfully my brothers were not greedy when my mom passed.  My dad is still alive, so he got everything... anything that was personally my moms, like clothes, jewelry etc... me and me SIL's went through and donated most of the clothes (because none us wore the same size as my mom lol)  sure my mom had monies like her retirement etc, but we all made sure that all of that went to our dad.  that being said..... the middle brother since my mom passing decided that dad was a freakin ATM....  he's approx $30,000. in debt to my dad.  His house is in my dad's name.  So my dad and oldest brother went down to the lawyers and ammended his will stating that "IF" there is any monies left after dad passes, that the amount owed by the middle child gets taken out of the 1/3 share that he would get, and he will get what is left... make sense?  my oldest brother and myself will then split the payback amount equally.  Even though, unless i am totally broke at the time,   I really don't want any.  It will never bring back my dad... just like getting my moms wedding ring,  it didn't bring her back, but i have it..  I would much rather have her.

nana9106
by Darlene on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I like this idea

Quoting mac1940:

Probably you need to consult an attorney and have him explain to your brother how this law works.  When my dad died, he was eparated from but not divorced from mom.  My sister wrongly figured that she and I were thus entitled to everything.  I told her no way, that mom had worked for 40 years helping him accumulate what was there, so she was entitled to everything.  We finally wound up paying an attorney for a consult who set my sister straight.  Greed is always sad and it sounds like your brother is greedy.  Hope you can settle this and not cause a permanent rift in your family.

nana9106
by Darlene on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM

We did that when my mom passed too. After seperating what my dad wanted from her personal affects, we all sorted through her remaining personal affects and divided it equally, so all of that is taken care of, it is the property , house and money that my younger brother wants now. Seems like he could at least wait until my dad passes before he starts his shit....but no, he wants it now.

Quoting nybor48:

So sorry... this is a tough time for all, I know firsthand..  Thankfully my brothers were not greedy when my mom passed.  My dad is still alive, so he got everything... anything that was personally my moms, like clothes, jewelry etc... me and me SIL's went through and donated most of the clothes (because none us wore the same size as my mom lol)  sure my mom had monies like her retirement etc, but we all made sure that all of that went to our dad.  that being said..... the middle brother since my mom passing decided that dad was a freakin ATM....  he's approx $30,000. in debt to my dad.  His house is in my dad's name.  So my dad and oldest brother went down to the lawyers and ammended his will stating that "IF" there is any monies left after dad passes, that the amount owed by the middle child gets taken out of the 1/3 share that he would get, and he will get what is left... make sense?  my oldest brother and myself will then split the payback amount equally.  Even though, unless i am totally broke at the time,   I really don't want any.  It will never bring back my dad... just like getting my moms wedding ring,  it didn't bring her back, but i have it..  I would much rather have her.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM

He must be a smart guy if he has millions so it doesn't make sense he doesn't know the spouse gets everything?!?!

nana9106
by Darlene on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM

nope...not smart. He didn't make (earn) millions, he got a settlement for millions...well actually his son got a settlement and my brother benefited from it

Quoting jabs54:

He must be a smart guy if he has millions so it doesn't make sense he doesn't know the spouse gets everything?!?!

jabs54
by Jeanine on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Quoting nana9106:

nope...not smart. He didn't make (earn) millions, he got a settlement for millions...well actually his son got a settlement and my brother benefited from it

Quoting jabs54:

Ohhhh, I see.  Well then I think it's a good idea to have a lawyer explain the law to him.

KittyGram
by Becky on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Ugh, I'm so sorry you and your dad are going thru this.  Greed - THAT is why your brother is doing it - but you already knew that.  He knows nothing of the law, so he reads ONLY what he thinks will benefit himself.  But you already knew that too.  What a jerk.  He should really be helping your dad out a bit, rather than seeing how he can screw him.

My advice is to get an attorney.  A consultation shouldn't cost TOO much, but it will be the investment that your father needs. 

Good luck to you and your dad.   

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I agree with this,
Get an attorney to explain it to him,
Sure does sound like he is greedy though ;(
Hugs to you & sorry you are having to deal with him:(

Quoting mac1940:

nana9106
by Darlene on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Thats how i feel too
He should be helping daddy out...not looking to profit from mamas death. It's just so wrong for him to have all that money and be grubbing for what little daddy has. My gosh he lost his wife of 50 years, he is grieving, and trying to figure all of this crap out. The last thing he needs is one of his kids threatening to take everything from him. SMH
An attorney consult sounds like a good idea

Quoting KittyGram:

Ugh, I'm so sorry you and your dad are going thru this.  Greed - THAT is why your brother is doing it - but you already knew that.  He knows nothing of the law, so he reads ONLY what he thinks will benefit himself.  But you already knew that too.  What a jerk.  He should really be helping your dad out a bit, rather than seeing how he can screw him.

My advice is to get an attorney.  A consultation shouldn't cost TOO much, but it will be the investment that your father needs. 

Good luck to you and your dad.   

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)