Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

How would you feel?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 29 Replies

My 20 yo dd will be a jr. in college next year and is going to be living in an on campus apartment. There are 4 bed rooms and 2 full bathrooms. She will be living with her current roommate (a girl) and 2 guys.  There is nothing going on with these 2 guys, there are just all good friends.  She has always had more guy friends then girls, but I am on the fence about this.  On one hand she will learn what it really is like to live with a guy and they could add a level of protection. But on the other hand she will be living with 2 guys. They all will have their own bedrooms, and the girls will share a bathroom.  I feel like it could be a good thing in a way. What do you think?

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

In some ways I think it would be safer to have guys in the house.  A lot of colleges now have coed dorms.  A child will do what a child wants to do.  Whether I liked it or not, I would be supportive.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:32 AM

You just need to trust your daughter's instincts on this one.  

cherylam
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM

She's 20, she is old enough to make decisions on her own.  Men in the house will add a level of protection, and you're right, she will find out about living in a house with a man is (almost) all about.  I may not be happy about it, but I'd support her no matter what.

wallmom1
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Thanks! It's like I told her it wouldn't be my first choice, but letting her go and make her own choices is very difficult for me but a part of life.  We do trust her and are supporting her. It is just weird to think of her having male roommates.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I think it is a great idea,
She will be fine :)

witch_e_woman
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM

She's over 18, there isnt to much to think about.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I'm not sure.  If I knew and trusted the guys I don't think I'd mind.

homeskoolmama
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM

She could be safer with the guys there or the "friends" could take advantage. I hope it all works out. I'd be worried but at 20 there's not much ya can do.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

She could be a lot safer and if they're all just friends it would be a good thing.  She'll probably do what she wants to do anyway....lol...most of them do.  But it sounds like a good idea to me.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I was raised in the day when this would have been unheard of and can just imagine the kind of reaction my parents would have had.  But I can see, as you do, both the pluses and minuses so guess I would be supportive. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)