Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Short term memory...

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM
  • 44 Replies

Is it just me or does age have something to do with lapse of some short term memory skills?  I tell you  - I have to make a list for everything then hope I can find the blasted list! LOL.  Well the way I look at it my short term memory may be a bit dull - but my long-term memory is just fine and my life  experience is valuable. 

So - is it just me that has to make those lists and keep post-its around the house?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Same here! If I don't make a list I forget! Post-its are my best friend!

misslady281
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM

how about 2 stroks to help the old memory

misslady281
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM

just got to remember to take the list ha ha

misslady281
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM

hi linda I'm new here  just checking it out

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM

yes, I know I have issues with my memory.  I think some of it is due to stress because of the bosses I work for.  I've subscribed to an online thing called Lumosity.  I've been doing it about a month and just last week decided to go for the 2 year program (about $86). Compared to others my age, I'm in the 53rd percentile for Speed, 31st percentile for memory, 53rd percentile for attention, 40th percentile for flexibilty and 49th percentile for problem solving.  So I do have some room for improvement in memory - that's my most problematic area, according to Lumosity.  It's free but you only get 3 games a day and can't see how you compare.

In the meantime, with my smartphone I've downloaded an ap to take notes - like what I need from the store.  It's very handy because my cell phone is with me pretty much 24/7 and as i think of something I can jot it down. With my cell, I can "speak" into it and it will record it (within reason).  Yesterday on my way home from work I remembered I need to buy soap.  So I brought up the ap, hit the speaker button and said, "Soap".  Nothing happened.  I said, outloud, "Really?"  Then "Soap."  So my list today said, "Really soap."  lol.  But at least I don't have 3 or 4 lists going at once and since my cell is almost always with me, I can jot down something at the spur of the moment.

I know a lot of the memory comes from just getting older, too. 

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I put post-its on the kitchen cabinets to help me remember!  I need to find some pretty post-its!

Quoting Lindalou907:

Same here! If I don't make a list I forget! Post-its are my best friend!

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Misslady - welcome to CM!  This is a great group at CM.  Look forward to getting to know you.  Yes - I always have to remember to take the list.  I am known for losing the list in the store and having to back track to find the list.  It is kind of a personal scavenger hunt.  And tn finding the car in the parking lot.  I have actualy laughed so hard in the parking lot that someone asked me if I was ok. LOL

Quoting misslady281:

just got to remember to take the list ha ha

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I know for a fact that stress and multi tasking will kill your short term memory.  I miss my old job and I really miss the people I worked with, but I had to make a change in order to have a life and keep from losing my mind.  I really do not like my new job - but I will have to make it work until I can retire. I now  have time with family and can actually think! 

I do not have a smart phone - I bet that does help with keeping a list.  Another good reason for a smart phone.  I will have to keep that in mind.  I will have to google Lumosity and see what that is about.  I am thinking of painting a chalkboard in my kitchen to use instead of post-its.  I can see the board every morning,  although it is not very portable!  LOL

oting suzeebloch:

yes, I know I have issues with my memory.  I think some of it is due to stress because of the bosses I work for.  I've subscribed to an online thing called Lumosity.  I've been doing it about a month and just last week decided to go for the 2 year program (about $86). Compared to others my age, I'm in the 53rd percentile for Speed, 31st percentile for memory, 53rd percentile for attention, 40th percentile for flexibilty and 49th percentile for problem solving.  So I do have some room for improvement in memory - that's my most problematic area, according to Lumosity.  It's free but you only get 3 games a day and can't see how you compare.

In the meantime, with my smartphone I've downloaded an ap to take notes - like what I need from the store.  It's very handy because my cell phone is with me pretty much 24/7 and as i think of something I can jot it down. With my cell, I can "speak" into it and it will record it (within reason).  Yesterday on my way home from work I remembered I need to buy soap.  So I brought up the ap, hit the speaker button and said, "Soap".  Nothing happened.  I said, outloud, "Really?"  Then "Soap."  So my list today said, "Really soap."  lol.  But at least I don't have 3 or 4 lists going at once and since my cell is almost always with me, I can jot down something at the spur of the moment.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I think having children contribute to it also.lol  I'm so bad I can walk out of my bedroom heading to kitchen or dining room looking for soemthing and by time I reach whatever room I was going to I've forgotten what it was I went for.lol

And be in the middle of talking and just go totallyblank!  My daughter says I have "brain farts".lol    

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM

FYI - when you are ready to check out a smart phone, I got mine on Amazon for only 29.99.  The same thing online with Verizon was $59.99 and at Radio Shack or the Verizon Store it was $99.99.  So I saved a LOT of money that way.

And yes, if/when something better comes along for me job-wise, I will certainly think about making the move.  I feel a loyalty to the other 2 in the nonprofit but ultimately, I have to think of ME. 

Quoting Maddie24:

I know for a fact that stress and multi tasking will kill your short term memory.  I miss my old job and I really miss the people I worked with, but I had to make a change in order to have a life and keep from losing my mind.  I really do not like my new job - but I will have to make it work until I can retire. I now  have time with family and can actually think! 

I do not have a smart phone - I bet that does help with keeping a list.  Another good reason for a smart phone.  I will have to keep that in mind.  I will have to google Lumosity and see what that is about.  I am thinking of painting a chalkboard in my kitchen to use instead of post-its.  I can see the board every morning,  although it is not very portable!  LOL

oting suzeebloch:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)