Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Remember when....

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM
  • 40 Replies

OK - between Ronna and Momma-t42's posts today - I am feeling very nostalgic.   I do not drink and am about to take out a 6 pack so hopefully you all will indulge me... Remember Dizzy-Tommy Roe, Simon and Garfunkel, how about Lava Lamps when they were not 'retro'?  I have not thought  about my childhood like this- ever.  I remember strawberry licorice.  My first car was  1963 Plymouth Sports Fury - it was my grandmothers and I was just happy to have wheels.  Oh -Remember Boone's Farms Apple wine?  So many memories that defined the time we grew up in.  How about you - what are some of the things that stand out in your childhood? 

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma-t42
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM

lol.....ok, but don't get mad at me please..... I was actually born in 1969...lol

I remember lava lamps, and strawberry licorice.  My brother's (who are at least 10 years older than me) always played the Beatles and that is how I got exposure to them...But my favorite music was the 80's of course, but I have a deep love for 70's as well.

My first car was a 1978 Monte Carlo...and I had it in 1988..haha  It was a piece!  lol  But everyone in town knew it was me...haha

I do remember following my brother's around and being in awe that they would build a fort out of tumble weeds no less.  If that tells you how we all entertained ourselves back then ...hehe

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Well, I was a teen in the 60's, so I remember all of those groups and songs.  My first car (aside from using my mom's) was in 1971, and I had a little Toyota Corolla.  They must have been crap because there are none of those around any more from that time.  There was a lot of good music in the 60's and 70's. 

Rileyscute
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Lol..I remember boones..and mad dog..but I was in my formative years in the 80s...it was new wave..goth...sigh...the best...
I love the music in the 60s and 70s..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LEK19
by Platinum Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I remember Boones Farm Wine, Dizzy and other great songs from the 60's and 70's, dancing to live bands (no dj's).

Remember wearing gauzy peasant tops, halter and other bare-midriff tops (tube tops???), Levi jeans - preferably classic five-button. Buying button-down chambray shirts and embroidering on them. Patches!!!

Long straight hair and braids, then the Farrah Fawcett cut and then the Dorothy Hamel cut? I always had only long straight hair until a brief period in the 80's.

The Midnight Special and Wolfman Jack.

This:

Hammer horror movies!!!

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I have just been so busy with life that I have not really thought  about childhood.  I really gave it some thought today and I had fun listening to old tunes.  I remember collecting crickets and grasshoppers, caterpillars and frogs! I could spend an entire day in a field with my bucket and wagon!!  The 1978 Monte Carlo sounds sweet!  

Quoting momma-t42:

lol.....ok, but don't get mad at me please..... I was actually born in 1969...lol

I remember lava lamps, and strawberry licorice.  My brother's (who are at least 10 years older than me) always played the Beatles and that is how I got exposure to them...But my favorite music was the 80's of course, but I have a deep love for 70's as well.

My first car was a 1978 Monte Carlo...and I had it in 1988..haha  It was a piece!  lol  But everyone in town knew it was me...haha

I do remember following my brother's around and being in awe that they would build a fort out of tumble weeds no less.  If that tells you how we all entertained ourselves back then ...hehe

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM

From my young childhood I remember getting my first Barbie(one of the originals)blond hair and black stripe bathing suit. My Mom making beautiful clothes for her and then getting Ken and her best friend Midge. Being able to buy candy for a penny! The Good Humor Man coming around in the summer. 

Getting a hand held radio,only AM no FM.lol  Listening to Elvis,the Beatles all the great singers and band from the 50's,60, on up until now.  Still listen to them. I even have vinyl 45's and LPs.  And I think even have a few 8 tracks somewhere.

I also remember being at school and then comingover the loud speaker announcing that President Kennedy had been shot. And they released shool early and it was all anybody talked about or the longest time

I preferred Boonesfarm Strawberry.lol  My first car was a little 1975 Maverick my Dad bought me in 1978. Driving it to the beach and cruising around with the radio blasting.lol  And yep,I loved Disco.lol  USed to go out dancing all night long.

Remember Gumby and Pogo? The rubbery bendable green guy and his orange horse?   Oh and GO GO boots?  They had to be white like the gogo dancers on TV.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM

There was some great music.  The Carpenters, Peter Paul and Mary, and another favorite Jance Joplin! 

Quoting DesignGirl450:

Well, I was a teen in the 60's, so I remember all of those groups and songs.  My first car (aside from using my mom's) was in 1971, and I had a little Toyota Corolla.  They must have been crap because there are none of those around any more from that time.  There was a lot of good music in the 60's and 70's. 

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:05 AM
4 moms liked this

How about this?

Wings were bangs and not found on sanitary pads!

Thongs were worn on your feet!

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Each decade has things to remember. My kids are still making fun Of my 80's hair.  I ended up going back tthe 60's hair!  There was great music back then!

Quoting Rileyscute:

Lol..I remember boones..and mad dog..but I was in my formative years in the 80s...it was new wave..goth...sigh...the best...
I love the music in the 60s and 70s..

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:09 AM

OMGosh you are too funny!  Every generation thinks they can improve things!

Quoting LEK19:

How about this?

Wings were bangs and not found on sanitary pads!

Thongs were worn on your feet!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)