Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Today was a day for remembering and for being grateful.

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:05 AM
  • 9 Replies

Today we attended a memorial service at our temple for a man that was truly a leader for our whole congregation. Among so many things that he did he was, with his partner, a youth leader, leading weekly youth meetings and being a camp counselor for our coming of age camp. 

Our son worked the 24 hour shift last night getting relieved sometime after 8 this morning. He came home and showered and grabbed a couple hours of sleep and then got up so he could attend the memorial. He brought his girlfriend with to the service, she wanted to come with us, and so there we all were among people who had seen our son grow up.

The service was moving, this man had touched so many lives, and our congregation truly loved him. As I sat there I kept thinking of how much he had influenced our son during his camping years. I am proud of the man our son is becoming and I know that our whole "village" helped as we raised him. Now we sat there and he was introducing his girlfriend to our community and I was truly overcome with a deep sense of gratitude. The man we memorialized will live on in all of the lives that he touched with his special love including my son's and for that we celebrate his life.

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momma-t42
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Very special thoughts and memories. Thank you for sharing his impact on your life he had.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:15 AM

This is very touching.  He is remembered with gratitude and celebration. He must have been a wonderful man, and I am glad to hear of the impact on your son's life.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM
That's an amazing story! Glad you have such a wonderful community!

What kind of temple do you attend?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddie24
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM

That is so special to have important influences in our children's lives.  Such a gift.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I'm sorry for the family and friends of the man :(  He sounds like he was a great guy.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
7 minutes ago
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Very touching with such a wonderful service for this man,
Thanks for sharing :)

louannwilkins
by Louann on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Thanks for sharing this with us.  It's nice to have people in our lives who can have such an impact.  :)

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Mar. 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM

How ucky your community was to have this man and how wonderful that you were able to memorialize him this way.

GaleJ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM
We are members at Unity Temple Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Oak Park, Illinois.

Quoting marchantmom06:

That's an amazing story! Glad you have such a wonderful community!

What kind of temple do you attend?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)