Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kitchen Talk for March 22nd

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM
  • 10 Replies
When did you start teaching you kids to cook? What meal can your kids cook the best?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Ronna on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM

You know, teaching my kids to cook was something I overlooked doing.  Jess never took a home ec class in school, either.  But she knows how to make Ramen noodles.  The last couple of years she's asked for recipes for certain dishes.  Her boyfriend is the one who usually does the cooking.  His mom taught him well! 

Johnny did take a home ec class in middle school - not on purpose though.  He had signed up for a computer class and it was full, so they stuck him in home ec.  His first year in college, he lived in a student co-op and in exchange for the extremely modest rent, each tenant was assigned a duty - he loved it when it was his turn to plan and cook the meals for the week!  For $50 a month, each tenant got a home-cooked supper during the week.  When he lived at home, I let him make the cheesy scrambled eggs.  He, too, has asked for several recipes from me over the last four years ...

by Louann on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM

None of the boys really loved cooking but my granddaughter does it some with me now.  She's only 3 but we're starting it. 

by Nancy on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

My daughters started cooking when they were in their early teens and they are all wonderful cooks.  My son also knows his way around a kitchen.

by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM

My daughter was in the k itchen watching me when she about 3/4 yo. And I would let her put the dry ingredients in when making cake or cookies. And have her set there and pat out the dough. Both me and my ex taught her differnt things.  He taught her how to fix differnt kinds of fish.  And she does that very well. 

I started with my grand daughter about the same age. Shes loves helping me out in the kitchen. And I let her flip her pancakes the other  And at Christmas her and her brother both helped make cookies and candy. I think Theron enjoyed being the taste tester the

by Barb on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I tried from the time they could stand on a stool and stir what was in a bowl.  They never had much interest. My younger enjoyed making salads.

by Mary Ann on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My son loved helping make cookies from about age 3 on.  My daughter started learning to cook at about age 9 and by time she was 12 or13 was pretty darn good.   I tried to get my son to at least learn the basics but except for cookies,he had no interest.  So we taught him by long distance phone calls after he left home.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I always encouraged them to be in the kitchen with me but some enjoyed it some not so much, my younges dd makes my chicken enchiladas all the time and she is really a pretty good cook, my oldest dd really did not want to cook when she was younger but she enjoys it now, my oldest son is a good cook his specialty is hot wings, honest to god the best I have ever had

Take some *Time Out*for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group
Yesterday at 11:31 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Yes not so sure I did a great job with that ::blush::
But they can both cook now just about anything :)

by Pamela on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:26 AM

I had my daughter in the kitchen very early 10 as my sou chef...that's how she learned...

My boys were about 15....their wives-to-be will be very luck, both are excellent cooks :)

by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:41 AM

My DD is a good cook. She started cooking at about 11.  She makes a few things really well. The one that impressed me the most was her roast. She doesn't even eat beef but made a great roast. 

My youngest DS loves to cook too. He's 13. But he likes to experiment so that gets interesting. He can make a great omelet!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)