Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Go To Garage/Yard Sales?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 23 Replies

Family Buys $3 Glass Bowl at Garage Sale That Turns Out to Be Worth Millions

by Jacqueline Burt

bowlI don't know about you, but over the years, I've picked up plenty of odds and ends at garage sales (which are never really held in garages, when you think about it -- usually they're more like lawn/driveway/front stoop sales). And so I see no reason why what happened to an unidentified bargain-hunting family in New York couldn't have happened to me -- maybe there's still hope! Sure, my odds of getting struck by lightning while being attacked by a shark are probably better, but a girl can dream!

Anyway. Here's the story: The aforementioned family was at a garage sale one day when somebody (maybe the mom?) spotted a simple but elegant glass bowl. Hmm. There were a few nicks and scratches here and there, maybe a tiny crack or two, but it was pretty and simple and she'd been looking for something to put on the mantelpiece.

So the family forked over "no more than" $3 and took the bowl home. It wasn't until several years later that they discovered the truth about their new knick-knack ... That bowl was old! OLD, like really old, and I don't mean last season's flip-flops old, I mean 1,000 years old! And from China. A "Ding" bowl dating back to the Northern Song Dynasty, to be exact.

I'm not exactly sure how the family figured out their bowl was something a lot more special than they'd originally thought, but they did. And promptly consulted the experts at Sotheby's. Aaaaaand the bowl just sold for more $2.2 million at auction on Tuesday.

AND if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find a garage sale.

Have you ever found anything at a garage sale that ended up being worth a lot more than you expected?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Mary Ann on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I like going to garage, estate and yard sales.  I have bought a couple things that turned out to be worth more than I would have guessed they were.  One was an old oak tea table which I paid $40.00 for and later was offered $500.00 for.  No, I didn't sell as I love that table.  Also bought some salt and pepper shakers because I liked them and later found out that because they were made in occupied Japan, they are quite valuable.  Mostly though I just buy things I like or can use and my hubby refers to as junk.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I wish I could find things like this but I never do, but I do love yard sales

by Barb on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I have stopped by garage sales from time to time but never bought anything exciting.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I love to go garage sale-ing...It is not my luck to find something that is worth a fortune, but OH how I would love to

by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Love to go to Yard Sales and auctions. We are going to an auction tomorrow, never know what kind of treasures you will find at an estate auction!

by Lisa on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

The only things they seem to have at yard sales around here is junk that was being sold at someone els'es yard sale the year before LOL

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I saw this story on the news, absolutely amazing.  I have bought items at garage sales.  One of my favourite deals was a couple of carved wood picture frames, which I patched up and painted white.  I put two hand painted watercolours of egrets in them and they are now in our bedroom.  I also collect blue and white Chinese style ceramics (not the good stuff!) and picked up a couple of vases at a garage sale.  At least three times when I have just been out for a walk for fresh air and exercise, I have come across garage sales and had to get the people to hold something I feel in love with, while I ran home and came back with some money and my car. 

by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I LOVE going to yard sales,auctions and shopping at thrift shoppes and flea markets.

And I've been lucky enough to find some good deals on some different things. I also bought an old oak side table that had been painted a god awful flat brown,but I recognized the pattern of the legs from a table my mom in law has. So I bought it for 5.00 at church rummage sell. Once I get it stripped down and redone it will be worth a couple hundred.

And I've bought sterling silver jewelry for a nickle and in pile of "junk jewelry" I bought for 1.00,I found a 18k old solid gold ring with a garnet in it and some 14k gold neclaces,one had a onyx and the other had some small diamond chips.

And a few Precious Moment pieces at a thrift shop they had I bought  for around 3.00 a piece ans they are worth on average about 25.00 or more.  And some old pieces of occupied china pieces also.

And I have some first edition books that are worth more then I paid for them also.

I'm lucky to know quite a few antique dealers and one of BF's Moms had her own shop for awhile and I used to work there so she taught me differnt marks/halmarks to look for on jewlery and pottery ect.   

My sister and her husband were rummaging in an old abandoned farm house and found a trunk,and when they got it home and started  going through it,down under the bottom there was a bunch of very old coins from back in the 1800's and some confedrate money and some old bonds.

by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I do love garage sales but have never found anything that amazing!

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to but haven't in a long time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)