Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Anybody try...

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM
  • 12 Replies

Dr Christopher's formulas? I had it suggested to me for my husband's pain issue in another group. I've read testimonials and all that and I believe in herbals and homeopathy. That belief is getting stronger as I go on and learn new things, try new things, etc. 

I am looking specifically at  Dr Christopher's Complete Tissue and Bone fomulas. 
My husband has some extensive damage to his shins from when he was in the army. Kind of like shin splints only worse. He also has the cartilidge in his knee is kind of like... well... crap. He has one leg shorter than the other as well, which we have a lift for and we've gotten control over the back pain caused by that for the most part.  Oh, hell... I just need to copy and post most of my original post here I think.

I'll be back & add it in this post  and maybe you ladies can make suggestions to me based on that.  

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Sorry! It's really long! I don't know how to say ANYTHING without typing a novel:

I am so frustrated and I really don't think there is much of anything I can do, but let it out. 
First let me say that my husband is an amazing husband. He and his brother own their business and are doing great. He also helps me with anything and everything around the house that are my 'duties.' On top of that we bought a wreck of a house that wasn't liveable so we have re-habbed it completely. And I mean COMPLETELY. It was a shell. No walls, floors, electric or plumbing. It was a structure with a new roof and new windows. It took a year to get it liveable and about 3 years to get it decent with still more to be done-he's busy every day with something.

I also own my own business in addition to doing the administrative work for my father's auto dealership and DH. 

We have 2 children still at home and 2 grown. We also have a foster 'of sorts' whom we have custody of. The ones aat home are 13, 15 and 17. 

My husband is a partially disabled vet. That disability causes quite a lot of pain. Which is where we get to my frustrations. He sees the doctors at the VA hospital for it and they've put him on Tramadol-mild pain reliever, I know and so does he. However, it causes drowsiness. BUT! If he were to step up to anything else there are so many other worries and the drowsiness would only be much worse. He takes 4 to 6 tramadol a day. We also use some homeopathic remedies which really do help him with the pain and have enabled him to deal with only the tramadol instead of allowing them to go to something more potent. The big problem being the drowsiness caused and if it increased he'd be screwed. 

As it is he comes home and naps. But not just a cat nap. We're talking anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. Now you can see why it has taken 3 years to re-hab the house. When he gets up it's just like the rest of us who are getting older... It's a slow process! LOL! So there goes another hour. Thank God he works for himself and makes his own hours to fit that!!! If he worked a full 8 hours a day? He'd just sleep the rest of the time.

Like I said before, he's awesome. I can't complain about how much he does because he really does do a lot for me, but this is getting pretty drawn out here. I still have rooms with just rough drywall in them and yet others that are just sealed off upstairs. STILL! We've owned the house for nearly 5 years I think. He does work on it every day, but by the time he gets everything started it's time for dinner. Then if he gets started again he's got to quit because it's time for the kids to go to bed. Can't run power tools up stairs with the kids trying to sleep.

I absolutely hate his doc at VA. She's totally incompetent as far as I am concerned. He went in and asked about something regarding his legs-she didn't even know he had the problem when that is a large portion of his disability and asked why he isn't in physical therapy and this and that for it??? UM?? YOU ARE THE ONE WHO KNOWS WHAT HE NEEDS TO DO. If you don't bother to read his chart to see what he needs we don't know these things. We're not doctors. We've addressed the tiredness from the drugs with her. Her answer is (direct quote here) "quit your job." REALLY???? And are you going to pay the bills? He doesn't get full disability and the chances of him getting it are slim so... About the next time she tells us he should quit his job when I am in the room I might just throttle her. really. Bail me out of jail. She seriously tells him that every time he goes in. The last appointment her answer to the fatigue was to put him on an anti-depressant with stimulant qualities. No help there. He's sleeping as I type. 

Could we hire someone to do his part of the job? Probably but that'd cut income/profit margin down to next to nothing after taxes, benefits and all that happy crap. 

To top it off  my doc is amazing. I have a disability that I could get Social Security for but, instead she has helped me find a way to keep self sufficient. The income is certainly better that way! Besides I couldn't sit on my butt and do nothing. She works with me to regulate my meds and the way I have to handle things. DH's doctor? Quit your job! 

I am so frustrated and I don't know what to do to help him. He's sleeping life away and while I understand why, it's not acceptable to him or to me. What is the point if you can't enjoy any of life because you're sleeping? I don't know what to ask his doc about because I am not a doc and don't have a clue what other alternatives there may be. I don't know if there is something that could help relieve some of the fatigue and drowsiness and I feel so helpless because the people we should be able to ask are morons. 
Anyone know anything? Anyone who can point me toward something to ask The Doc From Hell about?  

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM

This was an answer to someone who asked me for more info on it:

This shins have bone fragments that are painful-worse than shin splints. He does have some back pain from one leg being shorter than the other, but we've found out how to keep that under control. He's got a good lift that VA built for him and since getting that we've had him to the chiropractor several times. The Chiro has gotten him back into line and the back pain is just about a non problem at this point-unless he forgets his lift. Then we just go to the Chiro. $25 for a good massage and to have everything snapped back into place is WELL worth it!!! LOL! 

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I am sorry that your husband has to deal with a horrible doctor.  Isn't there another doctor he can go to for a chance at better results?

I too live with chronic pain (heal spurs) in both feet.  I shovel in advil, and of course have to take stomach medicine to ease esophogus issues because of it.

I use to see a physical therapist but that hasn't helped a whole lot.  

I wish I had some good solid answers, but unfortunately I do not.

Big Hugs to you though!

EireLass
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

If he takes Tylenol with the Tramadol it kicks it up some to help with days where he has more pain.

If you want a topical you should buy something with Arnica oil in it. Arnica is a flower, and they infuse a carrier oil with Arnica and make a lotion, ointment, etc. Works well.

Have you have him checked for Adrenal Syndrom? Thyroid? Fibromyalgia? MS?

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Thank you! I did not know that about tylenol with the tramadol.

We are using an Arnica cream and the pills. That stuff is AMAZING-which is what has prompted me to think that the Dr. Christophers stuff could be as great as everything says it is. 

Quoting EireLass:

If he takes Tylenol with the Tramadol it kicks it up some to help with days where he has more pain.

If you want a topical you should buy something with Arnica oil in it. Arnica is a flower, and they infuse a carrier oil with Arnica and make a lotion, ointment, etc. Works well.

Have you have him checked for Adrenal Syndrom? Thyroid? Fibromyalgia? MS?

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM

His first doc had him on 800MG Ibuprophen's (advil) and when he got the new doc they said DO NOT DO THAT!!! It will lead to other problems from the Ibuprophen! So, that's where the Tramadol came in to play. 
I have to say that the Arnica Montana rub and pills has helped him immensely with the break thru pain.
I'm going to try the Dr Christopher's stuff with him. If it helps I'll let you know! 

Quoting momma-t42:

I am sorry that your husband has to deal with a horrible doctor.  Isn't there another doctor he can go to for a chance at better results?

I too live with chronic pain (heal spurs) in both feet.  I shovel in advil, and of course have to take stomach medicine to ease esophogus issues because of it.

I use to see a physical therapist but that hasn't helped a whole lot.  

I wish I had some good solid answers, but unfortunately I do not.

Big Hugs to you though!

EireLass
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I have a chronic pain issue, and have been on Tramadol for 10 years or more. They've always said to kick it up a notch with Tylenol. But I have other meds too, so don't usually have to do that. I take Milk Thistle every day to protect my liver from my meds.

I make a lotion bar with arnica oil in it. You just rub the bar on your skin, and body temp sort of melts it, and it soaks in. I also put eucalyptus in it, as that's an anti-inflammatory, where the arnica is pretty much just for pain.

My husband has all his medical care at the VA....he has had to request a different primary at one time. Not all doctors are created equal, we know that.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

We are using an Arnica cream and the pills. That stuff is AMAZING-which is what has prompted me to think that the Dr. Christophers stuff could be as great as everything says it is. 

Quoting EireLass:

If he takes Tylenol with the Tramadol it kicks it up some to help with days where he has more pain.If you want a topical you should buy something with Arnica oil in it. Arnica is a flower, and they infuse a carrier oil with Arnica and make a lotion, ointment, etc. Works well.Have you have him checked for Adrenal Syndrom? Thyroid? Fibromyalgia? MS?

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Do you sell it or could you share the recipe? Either would be fine!!!! I really am blown away by the arnica and how well it works for my hips and DH things it's simply amazing. He didn't believe that something "all natural" could work like that.

Are you in Erie PA? Not that far from me. I'd be willing to drive in one day to pick up if you sell the lotion bar!!! 

Quoting EireLass:

I have a chronic pain issue, and have been on Tramadol for 10 years or more. They've always said to kick it up a notch with Tylenol. But I have other meds too, so don't usually have to do that. I take Milk Thistle every day to protect my liver from my meds.

I make a lotion bar with arnica oil in it. You just rub the bar on your skin, and body temp sort of melts it, and it soaks in. I also put eucalyptus in it, as that's an anti-inflammatory, where the arnica is pretty much just for pain.

My husband has all his medical care at the VA....he has had to request a different primary at one time. Not all doctors are created equal, we know that.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Quoting EireLass:

If he takes Tylenol with the Tramadol it kicks it up some to help with days where he has more pain.If you want a topical you should buy something with Arnica oil in it. Arnica is a flower, and they infuse a carrier oil with Arnica and make a lotion, ointment, etc. Works well.Have you have him checked for Adrenal Syndrom? Thyroid? Fibromyalgia? MS?

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:11 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Am so sorry your hubby is in so much pain,
I sure do hope you find somrthing that helps.
Am not familiar with this but hope you can hear from someone who is :)

EireLass
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM

No, I don't sell....I'll give you the recipe:

1/3 C coconut oil.....1/3 C shea butter.....1/3 C beeswax.....melt together over low heat....then add 1 T eucalyptus oil and 1 t arnica oil....mix it up....I don't have any store bought molds....I took a quart cream container....you know, like wax covered cardboard....I cut one side off the long way....cut open the top and folded it so it would make a plain rectangle....poured it in....when it was hard I cut it into strips, like bars....I wrap each one in wax paper and keep it in the fridge until I need one, or give one as a gift...then I wrap it in tissue paper and ribbon. I keep one on my nightstand.

I buy a whole block of beeswax, unrefined...put it in the micro for 1 minute so it softens enough for me to cut off what I need, then I grate it with a cheese grater so it will melt faster. I think you can buy beeswax 'beads'...but I think something is added to that.

One of my friends is allergic to eucalyptus, so I told her to put in either menthol crystals or peppermint oil.

It's a pretty quick recipe. I only made a small amount, as I know it can spoil without anything as a preservative. If you are afraid of that, you can add Vitamin E...that acts as a preservative.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Do you sell it or could you share the recipe? Either would be fine!!!! I really am blown away by the arnica and how well it works for my hips and DH things it's simply amazing. He didn't believe that something "all natural" could work like that.

Are you in Erie PA? Not that far from me. I'd be willing to drive in one day to pick up if you sell the lotion bar!!! 

Quoting EireLass:

I have a chronic pain issue, and have been on Tramadol for 10 years or more. They've always said to kick it up a notch with Tylenol. But I have other meds too, so don't usually have to do that. I take Milk Thistle every day to protect my liver from my meds.I make a lotion bar with arnica oil in it. You just rub the bar on your skin, and body temp sort of melts it, and it soaks in. I also put eucalyptus in it, as that's an anti-inflammatory, where the arnica is pretty much just for pain.My husband has all his medical care at the VA....he has had to request a different primary at one time. Not all doctors are created equal, we know that.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Thank you! I did not know that about tylenol with the tramadol.We are using an Arnica cream and the pills. That stuff is AMAZING-which is what has prompted me to think that the Dr. Christophers stuff could be as great as everything says it is. 

Quoting EireLass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN