Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

What are sounds that you just can't stand to hear?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM
  • 55 Replies

Sounds that didn't necessarily bug you before, but are more aware of now?

going crazy

We've lived in the city for nearly 23 years now and I can't stand the sound of sirens at night time.  Probably because we live two blocks away from the police department and fire department.

I can't stand the tap tap tap sound of one of our dogs nails on the kitchen floor (she dances around in the kitchen when she is ready to eat...it drives me crazy), she'd be better off barking since I could at least tell her to be quiet.

I hate, Hate, HaTe the sound of anyone snorting a loogy!  just the sound of someone snorting in that manner makes me want to puke.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't like to hear flatulence,  burps, the cats yelling.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM

It annoys me when, in the middle of the night, one of the cats start to lick themselves "there."  lol.

Also when I want to take a power nap, both cats decide they need one, too.  Mia lays right on top of my chest and Leo lays on top of my left arm.  Then they both start purring SO LOUDLY it distracts me from dozing off.

Hearing people sniffling instead of just blowing their nose already.   

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM

LOL!  Yeah, I agree.

Quoting suzeebloch:

It annoys me when, in the middle of the night, one of the cats start to lick themselves "there."  lol.

Also when I want to take a power nap, both cats decide they need one, too.  Mia lays right on top of my chest and Leo lays on top of my left arm.  Then they both start purring SO LOUDLY it distracts me from dozing off.

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I'm with you.  Although we no longer have cats so I don't hear those noises anymore :)

Quoting Bmat:

I don't like to hear flatulence,  burps, the cats yelling.

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Oh yes, I totally forgot about the sound of a pet licking themselves.  The same dog who taps her nails (even when they are freshly clipped), also licks at night.  Not "there", but her paws, anything...she just licks to lick...drives me crazy!

Quoting suzeebloch:

nana9106
by Darlene on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
The celing fan squeak squeak squeaking when I am trying to sleep!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I'm sound phobic so most sounds bother me. At one time I put towels on top of all our doors so they wouldn't rattle and slam in the house that had been rented and abused that we bought.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Oh, I hate that!  Brian installed a ceiling fan in my bedroom a couple of summers ago - he got it for only $5 on Craigslist - then paid $20 for the light fixture.  But it is silent.  It's the best darned ceiling fan I've ever owned!

Quoting nana9106:

The celing fan squeak squeak squeaking when I am trying to sleep!!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM

In the summer, the gentle whoosh whoosh of the ceiing fan is the perfect "white noise" for me.  For times I am not using the ceilng fan, I turn on the exhaust fan in the bathroom.  I've gotten so used to sleeping WITH a white noise in the background if I sleep somewhere else (motel, sleep-over with BF, etc.) I can hear EVERY LITTLE SOUND which makes it very hard to sleep! 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I'm sound phobic so most sounds bother me. At one time I put towels on top of all our doors so they wouldn't rattle and slam in the house that had been rented and abused that we bought.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I find sleeping elsewhere difficult too. I don't like fans. I can't stand a breeze on my skin most of the time and particularly when I sleep.

Quoting suzeebloch:

In the summer, the gentle whoosh whoosh of the ceiing fan is the perfect "white noise" for me.  For times I am not using the ceilng fan, I turn on the exhaust fan in the bathroom.  I've gotten so used to sleeping WITH a white noise in the background if I sleep somewhere else (motel, sleep-over with BF, etc.) I can hear EVERY LITTLE SOUND which makes it very hard to sleep! 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN