Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

fire, fire, false alarm!

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 10 Replies

Last night, while at work, I was happily diddy bopping along, doing my usual cleaning routine when the fire alarm sounded at around 10 pm. My first thought was "I wonder why Nick didn't tell me we were having a drill tonight?" Then I realized it was not a drill, and as it turned out, nor was it an actual fire.  

Nick is our floor guy, he also does the evening and night shift fire drills. He put some conditioner on the floor in one of the hallways and the fumes set off a smoke detector. Of course the fire department shows up in complete gear and had to do a walk through of the building. Even with the fire exit doors wide open and two fans blowing the fumes out of them, the alarm went off an additional 4 times. We wound up calling our boss at home to come in to temporarily disable that one smoke detector (he is probably there right now fixing whatever made it glitch). Nothing like flashing lights and a grating, blaring alarm to agitate 120 residents who were almost all sleeping.

At least we know that all those annoying drills every month paid off. A soon as they figured out what was going on, and where, the code was called pretty quickly and all of us showed up in the right place with our handy dandy fire extinguishers.

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
getting2old
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

oh no well at least it wasnt a real fire! The scenes on tv of fires is so frightening!

my daughter lived in an apt that the fire alarms went off frequently and I was watching my grand baby and another baby, both under 6 months, that alarm would go off, always at naptime, I would rush to get them each in an arm while it was blaring soooo loud, babies crying, try to lock the door with babies in hand and rush down 2 flights of stairs. After the first time, I learned to leave MY car keys and shoes and jackets by the door, takes a little stress off the situation. Needless to say i was happy when she moved out of there!

Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM

There is nothing like a little excitement to get the heart pumping.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I'm glad that it wasn't a real fire. 

~~CINDY

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Quoting Cindy18:

I'm glad that it wasn't a real fire. 

Me, too!

Hey, you got another fire drill out of the way! 

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I am glad it was a false alarm.  Did you have fun trying to get everyone back to sleep?

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Exhausting!  But it must be satisfying that the drills paid off.

gmadiane
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM

oh no

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I am lucky, that wasn't my job LOL. I did have to stay over for a little while to finish up my work but only about 15 minutes.

Quoting mac1940:

I am glad it was a false alarm.  Did you have fun trying to get everyone back to sleep?

Click on my siggy to help find a cure for cancer!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
12 minutes ago
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Whew!  Least it wasn't dull :)

nana9106
by Darlene on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Im glad it wasnt a real fire
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)