Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

How do you define.....

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 26 Replies

An argument VS a debate?

IMO, an argument is a fight, without facts and without merit, that makes both parties angry and hostile. A debate is two opposing parties stating their opinions on a subject in a mature manner with no hard feeling at the end of the conversation. 

~~CINDY

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I agree

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Dictionay.com uses them as synonyms. 

So I was curious about what others think. I've seen so many on here, CM, that can't debate. They get nasty and then say people are "picking" on them when someone tries to debate. 

Quoting LadySaphira:

I agree

~~CINDY

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I agree with that definition.  Also agree with you that some people cannot have a debate without turning it into an argument.   Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM

This:

Quoting mac1940:

I agree with that definition.  Also agree with you that some people cannot have a debate without turning it into an argument.   Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I agree with your definition.  An argument also puts people on the "defensive" where a debate should not.

gmadiane
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I agree with your definition

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM
For Cafemom debate and arguments are the same a lot. I don't care. It is a message board so anything goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Debates can make people feel very defensive actually. Debate abortion for instance.

Quoting suzeebloch:

I agree with your definition.  An argument also puts people on the "defensive" where a debate should not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I know you and me don't always see to eye to eye but I do like debating with you. I hope I have never taken it into an argument but I'm sure I have. I can get pretty passionate sometimes. 

It's when the name calling starts and then the venom comes out that I think it turns into an agrument. 

Quoting atlmom2:

For Cafemom debate and arguments are the same a lot. I don't care. It is a message board so anything goes.

~~CINDY

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I hear what you are saying! 

Quoting atlmom2:

Debates can make people feel very defensive actually. Debate abortion for instance.

Quoting suzeebloch:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN