Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Waiting for Ultrasound Results. UPDATE FINALLY

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • 19 Replies

My Son and his wife are expecting our first grand child. They so far think their due date is Nov. 1. But, she has been changing body shape more than  her other friends that are due around the same time and talking with the nurse last week and she thought it would be good to go in today for an ultrasound instead of waiting until the 23 or so of this month.

They are thinking TWINS??? I am thinking its just her body size. She is heavier than the girls she is comparing too, also its normal to be bloated etc. So, we will find out soon. I asked her if she will be OK if its just one yesterday and she said yes, that it will prove her point that she thinks they will have a larger baby than most. She was almost 10 pounds and my son was 9.9 ounces. 

Also I am sure her Grandma who raised her knows the news now. The appointment was at 10:30. We seem to be the last to learn things. But, like my husband texted from work to see if I learned anything we would know by now if it was two?? I really don't think so. She is rude at times. 

I need to remember she is just 20 years old. She is very much into what others see and think about her. She is really hard to be friends with.  She said she just wants to look pregnant and not just FAT...The image thing.

My son is 23 and now working his full time job plus a job in the evenings to cover the extra overtime that he is not getting. He sees what is ahead and wants to have bills paid etc. She works two days a week babysitting. She has no clue how much money and time you would need for twins. It is exciting and special and you adjust to it. But, it also is hard on her body during the pregnancy and afterwards the work load is even more.

She said for a long time she never wanted kids. Now, since they have been trying since Oct. they only want ONE. I think it is her that wants that. Now she is excited about maybe twins?? Its something her friends don't have I guess. 

She said at Easter that my son has "already" started helping with the house, cooking, laundry and back rubs. She is not even three months along. I do see him having to do more than the average Dad, its a good and bad thing. 

So, when will be get the news? One or Two???

Update:

I am so sorry about taking so long to write. Have had a lot going on and no time to get on  the computer.

They came by that day at 3:30. My son was getting with his Dad after work to work on his truck. They showed me the pictures of "Peanut" there is ONLY ONE.... (they gave me one of the four photos to put on the fridge!)

Come to find out she did tell her Grandma on the phone there was only one but didn't want to talk about it. They opened up to "me" first which I was so surprised.  But, will take it. At the end of the visit she said thank you for listening. 

During the "in office" ultra sound done by the doctor, Dr measured the baby to be 7 weeks. She thought and was told before with first day of her last period that her due date was Nov 1 and she would have been 10 weeks. Now, her due date is Nov. 26. They got to hear the heart beat and it was 133 beats a minute or so. She cried most of the day with that news. 

She did not get a answer how the dates changed with her last period being the 24 of January. She is confused. I am telling her that the baby is healthy and when she gets the 20 week ultrasound she will know even more and see more. Not to worry. She now does not like her doctor because the dates did not match pretty much. She is thinking she may want some tests done at 20 weeks along and if she turns out to be 23 weeks then its too late. She wants to know everything good and bad. 

She had lost 2 pounds  when she got checked at that appointment and now she is saying another 5. I don't think that is something to worry about due to she is over weight to begin with. She thinks she should have gained 8 pounds by now etc. 

She has two other friends pregnant and due around her time. So, she is compairing to them their steps but everyone is different and body size too.  Also she is on the internet. She knows so much what to expect or what could happen. Usually, you only know what the doctor tells you. Its a good bad thing for her. 

I am OK with my son being there for his wife, soon to be baby and their life.

Its how she is dealing with things. She does so well working and bragging about the money coming in and then they buy her a car and she quits her job, that her friends are great then they are not because they are more friends with each other and she feels left out. She just wants friends to be only her friend.  My sons job cut him back down to a 40 hour week and not the 50-60 hour week so the money is not over flowing like it was and she just quit another little job of babysitting a couple of days. Due to clashing with the MOM.. Personality issues. Each blaming each other. So, the money is good but only pays bills. They need $3600.00 for truck repairs so we are paying it up front and they pay back. They already paid $300 on the balance and the parts are not here yet. They should be over flowing with cash. But, she admits when they have extra it gets spent. we did the same thing. 

So, there is a lot going on. Her attitude is the big one. I am good with them being focusied on each other. Its how she expresses things and always takes something exciting like having a baby to make it upsetting Or her freinds are turning against her, .

Thanks for all your replies. 

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nana9106
by Darlene on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Awww!! Congratulations! Being a grandma is great. Let us know when you find out
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow!!!!! It will work out whichever it happens to be. I can't wait to hear!

hugss
Take some *Time Out for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:43 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Hugs on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Huge congrats!
Let us know when you find out :)

busygramma4
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats! Either way being a grandma is the best thing EVER!!!

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Congrats! Try to go a little bit easier on her. Believe me, I've been where you're at. They will work out any kinks they have together. I know and can see you love your son, but she is still young. sometimes being on the paternal side can be a little bit more taxing.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Woo Hoo, Gina!    I'm excited for you and yes, she's only 20 and girls that age are very conscious about how they look to others.  I get the wanting to look pregnant but not fat thing!

Let us know as soon as you find out if it's gonna be twins though!  how exciting!

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM

very exciting news...congrats.

I do not have sons as God blessed me with all girls.

What I do know though, parents of adult kids have HUGE effects on their children still.  What you allow your thoughts to think, will come out in some way shape and form.  You're better off in the long run to not "feel bad" for your son and that "he does more than most."   She belongs to him now, and he belongs to her.  You raised him well for that very moment when he would take a wife as his own.  

It would be wise for you to try and look at it that way, as a woman is the ruler of the roost more times than not.  She has immense power to how your son will from here on out view you.  

I don't say that to hurt you...just from experience with my own in-laws.  It isn't easy to 'let go' but is vital for your sons continued growth as a man, as a husband, as a father.

My oldest daughter has been married nearly 3 years.  She has been through a LOT with her husband.....trust me a LOT.  But I choose to treat my SIL exactly the same with one boundary on my own daughter....she cannot share intimate things with me any longer.  Not because I don't care, but because she HAS to lean on her husband and not on her parents.  They belong to one another, and with my encouragement and distance from intimate details, I can look at my SIL without judgement....and I don't find myself in any precarious positions with my 25 year old daughter.

My husband and I were both 20 when we married.  We fought like siblings...and I shared with my MIL so much...but she never gently put up boundaries, just judgement towards me in her normal female emotional self that any woman would experience.  I NOW have grace on her...but she missed out on more things with her grandchildren who are now grown just because of her position she took feeling bad for her precious son...who was man enough to get married.

Blessings to your family.  It's tough on all of us from time to time..which is why this group of women is so great :)

Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Congratulations!  My 2 oldest daughters had twins 3 months apart.  That just means that there is more of them to love.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM

No news yet?!?!    3 months and she needs help from hubby?  It's going to be a looooong prenancy ;)

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Well?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)